Trails Tails & Ales: Run & Walk Events for Dogs & People Message Board › Dog joint problems? Try glucosamine chondroitin for dogs

Dog joint problems? Try glucosamine chondroitin for dogs

Summer
smmerjane
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 10
At the last couple of events, I've talked with other dog owners whose dogs have joint problems. A glucosamine chondroitin daily supplement has worked wonders for our two dogs that have had joint problems--one old who was suffering from arthritis and the other young who probably had a previous injury that created stiffness in his front leg when it healed--he had a bad limp. (He was a street rescue who appeared never to have been to a vet.; we do not know his medical history.) It is worth checking out as a preventative and treatment supplement. Our vet. recommended it to us in both cases, and I am amazed at how well it works--really helped Charlie with his arthritis (did not eliminate it but did give him much more mobility in his final years) and, paired with a human grade fish oil supplement, has totally cleared Max's limp--you would never know that he ever had a problem with his leg. (In fact, it works so well that after suffering a herniated disc in my back from exercise, I take the human version myself.)

The brand name for the glucosamine chondroitin dog supplement is Cosequin: www.nutramaxlabs.com

www.calvetsupply.com and www.entirelypets.com have good prices on the brand name. It seems like almost any online pet supply store sells it.

We used to buy Cosequin DS chewable tabs online but now buy the Trader Joe's brand at the store near us, which has worked just as well for Max. (TJ's only has the chewable tabs. I break them apart and mix them into his food. He gobbles them down with everything else.)