Let’s do a backpack at Mount Rainier. I won’t be able to get a first-come, first-served permit until the morning the trip starts, so I won’t know the route or campsites beforehand. I will need one person willing to drive.
• Do not sign up unless you are willing to share a tent. Individual campsites will hold at most 2 tents, so unless you will be sleeping in a bivy sack, tent sharing is mandatory.
Here are some possible trips in order of distance:
• Type: Loop • Round Trip: 36.3 miles.
• Ascent Elevation: 8,963 feet over 4 days
Eastside Loop (Wonderland / East Side / Owyhigh Lakes Trails)
• Type: Loop • Round Trip: 36 miles.
• Ascent Elevation: 7,430 feet over 4 days.
Pacific Crest / Eastside / Laughingwater Creek Loop
• Type: Loop • Round Trip: 35 miles.
• Ascent Elevation: 6,200 feet over 4 days.
• Pace: Slow/moderate. • Difficulty: Moderate/difficult.
What to Bring: Backpack with the 10 Essentials, appropriate hiking attire (no blue jeans, cotton clothing, or sneakers), plenty of water, lunch/energy snacks, sturdy/comfortable shoes + a bag for wet/soiled pairs, trekking poles, sun preventatives, bug repellent, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove, cookware, eating utensils, and your camera! Dress according to the forecast (layers!).
Permits/Regulations: $15 per vehicle for a 7-day entrance permit or $30 per vehicle for an annual pass. Group size limited to five. Fires prohibited. Dogs prohibited.
Robert's Cell: (253) 677-6992.
Disclaimer: Trailside is not a professional guide service. Our leaders function, as facilitators only, to enhance your outdoor experience. Reports of trail and weather conditions are based on best available information, are subject to change, and are no guarantee of fitness for any particular purpose or appropriate for a certain fitness level. You may join us on this hike at your own risk. Keep in mind that hiking involves risks and weather changes quickly in the mountains. You are responsible for your own safety and the more prepared you are, the better the chance you will remain safe. Signing up for any Trailside organized event indicates that you have read, understand, and agree to the terms of this disclaimer and hold harmless all Trailside Organizers and Leaders in the event of injury or loss.
Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.