Transition Richmond Message Board › community garden/Urban farm 1.5 ac meeting place, learning environment

community garden/Urban farm 1.5 ac meeting place, learning environment

Ken D.
user 10851211
Richmond, VA
Post #: 1
Hi, I just joined this group and wanted to introduce myself and offer up a possible project for this group. I have a 1.5 ac piece of land with a 2 story garage/barn on it, electricity and water. It was a florist/greenhouse operation at one time and presently has the old greenhouse and retail building on it which I will be demolishing soon because of it's condition and obsolescence. I've been trying to get people interested in creating a community garden/Urban farm on this property for a few years now although I must admit, I haven't been trying as hard as I could! It's located on Cool Ln, near Farm to Family, easy access from I95, I64, Rt 360 on the back end of Church Hill, it's not the best neighborhood, but not the worst either!

My vision is to create an environment, an incubation zone keeps popping up in my mind, where like minded people can gather, grow food, work on natural building techniques, sustainability, self reliance and the things this group seems to foster, with a opportunities to expand on those concepts on a 40 acre farm we presently live on in King and Queen county. We moved out of Richmond 6 years ago after... do I dare say... living downtown for 24 years, the last 18 in Jackson Ward where we still own the house we bought and renovated. We've been learning to farm naturally starting with vegetables, then, we realized we needed to add animals to the farm to help balance the system. We now have heritage pigs including a litter 9 days old today along with their mama and a group of 11 that are 13 weeks old, unfortunately, their mama died after raising them 9 weeks and weening them... she had them July 3rd, in the middle of that intense hot spell we had and never fully recovered, she sacrificed herself for her young. We also have a flock of heritage Spotted Sussex chickens that are natural free rangers including one hen who is sitting on a clutch of eggs and should be hatching them in about 2 weeks!

Anyway, as you might imagine, I have my hands full! I'd love to find someone or... a ... group... of people that would like to help push forward on this concept. The urban farm property sits, underutilized and could be transformed into a vibrant gathering and learning place.... anyone interested?

I also have a bunch of alternative energy stuff to play with... love to build some cabins on the farm... rocket stoves... cob pizza ovens... the list goes on!
Heather H.
user 11493343
Richmond, VA
Post #: 5
This sounds like a great opportunity for some re-skilling workshops! I look forward to talking to you about this more at our meeting!
Yoomie
user 20610931
Arlington, VA
Post #: 68
Ken,

Hope you check out the Richmond Cohousing meetup and come to a meeting! Our group is going to need a site!

Yoomie