Explore Bull Skin & Big Locust Creeks

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From I-275 drive East on U.S. 52 for about 35 minutes to the ramp that is approximately 3 miles past the Chilo Lock 34 Park. Look for signs for Rt. 133 which runs off to the left. Turn RIGHT at this intersection to get to the ramp. Please arrive by 9 a.m.

The ramp is on Bull Skin Creek, and is part of a private campground, but boaters/yakers can launch for a small $3.00 fee. It’s a good place to put in with access to the Mighty Ohio and Bull Skin Creek, so remember to bring three Washington’s. Yakers are good, honest people, right?


First Leg:
Bull Skin Creek has slack water for 1.50+ miles, and there is an interesting rock cliff about a mile up the creek. On a recent recon on[masked], a flock of approximately 20 Great Blue Herons was spotted. With the mud flats available on the creek, this may be a prime nesting area! 1st leg total: 3+ miles round trip.

We will stop back at the ramp to refuel, stretch, take a potty-break, and relay a few cars 3 miles back to Chilo Lock 34 Park, which is our take out point.


Second Leg:
After shoving off again, we will cross the Mighty Ohio to the Great Common Wealth of Kentucky, and paddle 1+ miles downstream to the mouth of Big Locust Creek.

Big Locust Creek has slack water for 2.25+ miles and is abundant in water fowl. There is a gravel bank at the end where we can get out for stretching and refueling. Paddling back to the river, we hang a left for the 1+ mile paddle to Chilo Lock 34 Park. 2nd leg total: 6.5+ miles.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


When – Sunday April[masked], be in the water and ready to depart by 0915 hrs!

Where Bull Skin Creek Ramp.

Experience Know your limits; do part or stay for all.

TAKE OUT – Chilo Lock 34 Park

Pre-Paddle - Everyone is responsible for their own grub and fluids. Suggest packing light lunch and energy snacks!

What To Bring – Yak / PFD (must be securely worn and
buckled), / proper clothing / water / bug spray / camera. Come on, you know what you need, we’re adults here!

Restrooms – Porta-Potty close by.

Weather Forecast – An update will be provided two days before.

River Forecast – Same as for the weather forecast.

Post-Paddle Sustenance – OPEN

Liability Waiver – As always, by joining in this event you are
acknowledging that you have read and agree to abide by the Tri-State Kayakers liability waiver. You can find this waiver on the Tri-State Kayakers web site,at:
http://www.meetup.com/Tri-State-Kayakers/pages/Legal_Waiver/



Join or login to comment.

  • Buzz

    Great day for kayaking. The only down side was the high winds kept us from the second leg of the trip. The upside is we drove up to see the bald eagles instead.
    As always a great group to spend the day with.

    April 7, 2013

  • Bill G.

    WEATHER UPDATE:

    Sunday, April 7 at 9am
    Temperature: 61 °F Wind Chill: N/A Surface Wind: SW 11mph
    Sky Cover: 98% Precipitation Potential: 19%
    Thunder: <10% Rain: Slight Chance (10%-20%)

    Sunday, April 7 at 2pm
    Temperature: 65 °F Wind Chill: N/A Surface Wind: SW 14mph
    Sky Cover: 89% Precipitation Potential: 30%
    Thunder: Chance (30%-50%) Rain: Chance (30%-50%)

    RIVER STAGE: 33.9ft which is .4 above normal pool

    As of 6:25 this morning, I don’t see anything on radar to worry about! I would bring any rain gear and shirts that you may have. Like the boy scouts use to say, be prepared! See you there!

    April 7, 2013

  • carole

    Sorry guys. Gonna hang with Ben

    April 6, 2013

  • Kathy J.

    Becky, can you print out these directions and information please? see you in the morning!

    April 6, 2013

  • Bill G.

    WEATHER UPDATE:

    Sunday, April 7 at 9am
    Temperature: 54 °F Wind Chill: N/A Surface Wind: SW 11mph
    Sky Cover: 70% Precipitation Potential: 34%

    There may be a few scattered rain drops in the morning, but as best as I can tell by watching the NOAA radar sites, the showers won’t start till early-mid afternoon. We may have to cut the day short, but I think we can at least get the first leg in. I will post an update by 6:30am tomorrow.

    I will be at the ramp by 8:30, please be there by 9:00. My cell phone will be on at 6:30am -[masked]

    REMEMBER:

    Last chance to powder your nose is the Chilo Lock 34 Park. You will have a chance to powder again after the first leg.

    Pack eats and drinks for lunch if we get both legs in.

    Bring 3 Washingtons for ramp fee.

    Check this site before you leave in the morning!

    April 6, 2013

  • Bill G.

    River Forecast:

    As you know, we will be paddling around the end of the Meldahl Dam pool, not the middle of the Markland Dam pool where the Cincinnati river gauge is located. In the Meldahl pool, one needs to use the readings from the Maysville gauge. http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=iln&gage=myvk2&hydro_type=0

    The latest observation from this gauge is 33.87 ft at 6am EDT 6-April-2013, and forecasted to be about the same at 9am tomorrow. NORMAL POOL LEVEL: 33.5 ft.

    1 · April 6, 2013

    • carole

      Thx

      April 6, 2013

    • Kathy J.

      That means to load you kayak and gear tonight!!

      April 6, 2013

  • Bill G.

    My crystal ball is a little cloudy, but I as it stands now I think we will be ok for most of tomorrow. Look for updates later tonight, and check here before you leave in the morning.

    April 6, 2013

  • Suzanne

    I'm remaining optimistic, but just so you know, I'm strictly a fair weather paddler, so if it's raining/cold don't look for me. I know- wha, wha!

    April 6, 2013

  • Bill G.

    2nd Weather Forcast:

    Sunday, April 7 at 9am
    Temperature: 54 °F Wind Chill: N/A Surface Wind: SW 11mph
    Sky Cover: 83% Precipitation Potential: 33% Thunder: <10%
    Rain: Chance (30%-50%)

    Sunday, April 7 at 2pm
    Temperature: 63 °F Wind Chill: N/A Surface Wind: SW 11mph
    Sky Cover: 91% Precipitation Potential: 40%
    Thunder: Slight Chance (10%-20%) Rain: Chance (30%-50%)

    The weather is looking a little iffy for Sunday. I will consult my crystal ball and team of meteorologists, and have an update by 8pm tomorrow. I’m not afraid of a few scattered showers, start looking for that rain slicker, big floppy hat, and your best skirt.

    April 5, 2013

  • Bill G.

    ITEM: There is NO Porta-Potty at the Bull Skin Ramp. Last place to powder your nose is at the Chilo Lock 34 Park, three miles BEFORE you get to the ramp. On the left, just before the Park entrance which is on the right is the Chilo Carry-Out & Delhi, which opens at 8am Sunday, if interested. ITEM: A mommy goose is sitting on a nest 6ft. off the right side of the ramp! Pictures OK, getting within 20 feet, NOT OK; Charlie tells me they have sharp teeth! Watch the goose poo.

    ITEM: You will see construction signs on 52, but the road won’t be closed till Monday.

    ITEM: Ramp is approximately 18 miles east of New Richmond.

    April 4, 2013

  • Bill G.

    1st Weather Forecast:

    Sunday, April 7 at 9am
    Temperature: 54 °F Wind Chill: N/A Surface Wind: SW 8mph
    Sky Cover: 80% Precipitation Potential: 27%


    Sunday, April 7 at 2pm
    Temperature: 68 °F Wind Chill: N/A Surface Wind: SW 11mph
    Sky Cover: 80% Precipitation Potential: 37%

    1 · April 3, 2013

  • Bill G.

    So do I, but that is an American Egret. I beleive Tom took the pic on our Big Locust Creek outing last year!

    April 1, 2013

    • Kathy J.

      The Egret was my second guess! Are the turtles red ear sliders?

      April 1, 2013

    • Bill G.

      Sounds good to me!

      April 1, 2013

  • Bill G.

    Hi All,

    I am changing the start of our little outing to 9AM to allow those driving from a distance a little more time & a warmer start for us!

    I will be there by 8:30 and hopefully we can push off by 9:15 or so!

    The long range weather forecast is looking very promising, but could change. Hopefully Spring is here; GO REDS!

    Look for updates starting on Wednesday.

    Have a great week and see you there!

    April 1, 2013

  • Rob S.

    I'll be there if I don't have any calls to run that day.

    March 17, 2013

  • David

    I'll be in a tandem, so not an extra boat

    March 17, 2013

  • carole

    I'm a maybe....

    March 16, 2013

  • Bill G.

    Charlie - The Owl Man!

    March 2, 2013

  • Chuck

    This spot has been on my list for years.

    1 · February 18, 2013

8 went

Our Sponsors

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more
Allison

Meetup has allowed me to meet people I wouldn't have met naturally - they're totally different than me.

Allison, started Women's Adventure Travel

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy