This posting is to refer those who asked about any local indoor training session to a great annual event. Cincy Paddlers is offering those courses this Winter. Please read the below information carefully.
Enter the spring season with your skills and fun dialed up to max. Please read instructions carefully as a couple things have changed and incorrect/incomplete registrations are not accepted:
The start of indoor pool sessions is less than two months away. What better way to spend cold, dark Sunday nights that playing with your boat and paddling friends in a big, warm pool? To get in on the fun, open the registration form found in the Files section of the Cincypaddlers site ("Pool Oct. 2012"). Register now carefully following these instructions to avoid missing out:
1. On page one of the form, The Guardian is your name, session date of Jan. 13 – Mar. 3, 2013, and Program is Kayak- Location (write Western Hills, Anderson or Fairfield, whichever you're signing up for) and Day/Time is Sunday, 6:00 pm.. You do not fill out the Employee line. Ensure the email address is the one you want for notifications. Don't forget the second page (waiver), crossing out the "October 2012" and writing in "January 2013."
2. If you pay by credit card, put information on the form. If you pay by check, it should be made out to Mercy Healthplex. Mail to Henry Dorfman, 1409 Amesbury Dr., Cincinnati, OH 45231. The cost is $67.50/participant (which covers all eight sessions). A participant is anyone who gets in a boat, in the pool any time during the sessions. In other words, if you plan to switch off with someone with different boats or different weeks, that is still two participants (and two admission fees). Incomplete, incorrect or illegible submissions will not be considered registrations.
3. Pools have limited space and registrations will be accepted on a first-come basis. Register early to avoid being shut out. Any location that does not get at least eight registrants will not operate. You are registered at the location you sign up for and cannot show up at another without specific prior permission.
4. Guest and individual evening passes will be available for locations if they are not filled at a cost of $14.00/participant (the eight-session package is obviously cheaper). To do that, you must email me for availability and receive approval by the Thursday preceding that Sunday's session. Payment (check or money order only, made out to Mercy Healthplex) should be presented to the lifeguard upon arrival.
5. Violation of the pool rules/procedures puts all our privileges there on jeopardy and can result in yours being revoked without refund. No fees will be refunded after January 5, 2013. Any questions should be directed to me (Henry), not Mercy Healthplex.
a. The package pass is nontransferable – check-in at each session is required.
b. All equipment must be cleaned thoroughly BEFORE you arrive and then at poolside –
no floatation bags. Bringing in any debris will result in revocation of pool access.
c. Helmets and PFDs (life jackets) must be worn in the pool.
d. Seal or otter launches must occur on mat in designated area.
e. Boats may be emptied only at designated drains on the deck.
f. Activity will not interfere with or endanger others - no free swimming.
g. Minors must be under direct supervision and control of an adult at all times.
h. All participants assume responsibility for their risk/injury, indemnifying all others.
i. Violation of any rule or reckless or inappropriate conduct can result in nonrefundable
revocation of pool access.
j. Wipe your feet as you enter pool area.
k. Only use the "family" locker room area to change and do not use the spa's towels, etc.
l. Participants must help with the removal/replacement of lane markers (ropes).
The eight weekly sessions ($67.50/participant includes all eight) on Sunday evenings, 6:00-7:45, beginning January 13th (last one is March 3rd) at these locations:
Mercy Healthplex in Fairfield, 3050 Mack Road (45014). From the Winton Road exit off I-275, go north on Winton to Mack (about a mile). There's a Fifth Third Bank on the SE corner. Turn right and the hospital campus is about a quarter mile up on your left. Use either entrance off Mack, but you will NOT follow the signs to the Healthplex.
The double-door direct entrance to the pool is about a hundred yards to the left, as you face the entrance to Children's Hospital on that campus. So, if you're using the west campus entrance, follow the signage to Children's, which will take you straight back past Mercy Hospital into a large parking area. About the third row from the end would align you with the entrance to the pool, so go back there and turn right toward Children's. If you use the east entrance (if you're coming from Rt. 4), go straight back to the Healthplex entrance and turn left at the circle. Then, turn right into the parking area in front of Children's.
The Western Hills location is 3131 Queen City Ave. (45238), although the entrance you want is around the corner on Boudinot Ave. As you look at the entrance to the Healthplex from the parking lots, there is a down-ramp/door about 50 yards to your left that enters the pool through the pump room.
The Anderson address is 7495 State Rd. (45255), but you want the Five Mile Rd. entrance by the Children's Hospital office. As you look at the entrance to that (there's playground equipment out front), to your left is a down-sloping lawn. At the bottom is a small patio. Turn left there and follow the wall around the corner and you'll come to the right door on the Five Mile Road side of the building. Or, just drop your gear on that side and park in one of the lots.
First thing you do at each session is hose your equipment thoroughly at the designated area. It should be thoroughly pre-cleaned (usually requires multiple rinses until all grit is gone) with bags removed ahead of time, but hose it anyway. Registering constitutes your acceptance of the rules.
Take advantage of this opportunity to develop your paddling skills and have great times. Registration usually fills up - do it today so you're not closed out.
Link to Files: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cincypaddlers/files/