March 23, 2013 · 9:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
Requirements: By joining this event you agree to the group rules located in the Pages section. It's your responsibility to bring enough food and water (3 liters are recommended) for this trip or more if you think you need it. You are required to dress appropriately for the season and have the proper equipment such as hiking boots. Please read the mileage and difficulty and make sure you are physically able to complete this hike at a moderate pace. Hike times are only estimated and actual finish times might vary depending on a number of factors.
*** This an Intermediate hike (Not suitable for those new to hiking) ***
Terrain: Several hills and Scrambling
Elevation Gain: 1500+ feet
Distance: 9 miles
Hiking Pace: Moderate (1.5 mph)
Estimated Trail Time: 6 Hours
Dogs: Allowed on leash
About the Hike:
Come explore a beautiful and often overlooked park rich with history and varied terrain that is a stone’s throw from Harriman. This hike will hit all the highlights. We will start the hike from the Sterling Forest visitor’s center and follow the blue mine trail past the furnace and then skirting the lake, up the yellow to the to the blue ridge trail, then over and up the newly extended orange “Bare Rock” trail to Bare Rock our lunch spot which affords 180 degree views of 7mi long Greenwood Lake. For our return trip we will visit an active beaver dam then a scramble up to the top of the ridge to the fire tower that affords spectacular panoramic views, and then descend the red fire tower trail to the visitor’s center.
Getting a Spot:
- Please write in your RSVP if you are driving and from where, or if you are getting a ride.
- Update your RSVP if you can't make it.
Directions to the Sterling Forest Visitor’s Center by car
Please Note: You must pass through Sloatsburg while on 17. Be mindful of the 35 MPH speed limit.
There are many police speed traps.
• NYS Thruway to Exit 15A, (Route 17 North).
• Travel on Route 17 for about 1 ½ miles to the Sterling Mine Road (Route 72) exit
• If you pass under an overpass and reach the Dunkin Donuts you have gone too far.
• Travel on Sterling Mine Road (4 miles) to Long Meadow Road
• RIGHT onto Long Meadow Road
• Travel on Long Meadow Road (4 miles) to Old Forge Road
• LEFT onto Old Forge Road
• Look for signs to the Sterling Forest Visitor’s Center
Google Driving Directions: http://goo.gl/maps/kCi4X
Car drivers should get to this parking lot (That's 41.197805, -74.256023 in case the link doesn't work. Just go to Google maps and enter the coordinates) at 9am.
Car Drivers and Riders:
People who are coming by car and are willing to give rides, please write in your RSVP from where and when you are leaving. If you'd like a ride, please contact a driver (and bring $ to chip in for gas and tolls.)
Day Hiking Gear:
Standard gear: hiking boots, non-cotton clothes, sunscreen, etc.
- 3 liters of water minimum
- Lunch, Snacks and extra food.
- Hiking Poles
- Sterling Forest Trails hiking map
Check the forecast for Greenwood Lake, New York.
After the Hike:
-Upload your pictures and review the hike!
See you on the trails!