Tri-cities Permaculture Meetup Group Message Board › Sooke Eco-village

Sooke Eco-village

Nathan G.
user 11960499
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone

The following was posted in the Vancouver group and I thought that I would pass it on. I group up in a planned co-housing community called Windsong in Langley (http://windsong.bc.ca...­, and it was great. If they buy the land in Sooke, maybe will can plan a car-pool field trip to go visit.

"
There is an ecovillage farm starting up here in Sooke. check out their blog to learn a bit more and contact them at http://villagefarmblo...­.

they are in the mad and magical forming, storming, norming stages right now...with an accepted offer on a fabulous old homestead within walking distance of Sooke town (buses, shops, markets). it is a 150 acre diverse piece of land - large tract of 2nd growth forest, 20 acres of cleared farmland/pastures (with the potential for more), an old orchard, and a fish bearing year round creek. there is a great old barn and a funky house on the property right now (primed for renovation that could put two households there soon). the land is mostly ALR (130 acres) with 20 acres zoned residential for 10 households where they are planning on a little village of separate houses for mostly farmers and some others to live directly on the land. there is much support from the local community for land based enterprises to develop over time on the property, creating a hub of sorts for community building, local economic development and resiliency. The group is actively seeking members and in the throws of fundraising and financing the land purchase. so it is in need of pioneers at the moment, with 2nd wavers in the wings, supporting and helping. the homes and gardens aren’t built yet, and the land is raw right now. orientation gatherings are scheduled for every two weeks (on a sunday) at this point, the next one coming up a week from this sunday.
"

-Nathan
A former member
Post #: 6
Hi!
Jess and I are planning to go to Victoria this weekend and are excited to attend the orientation meeting on Sunday afternoon. If we don't see anyone else there from the permie group, we'll let you know how it went at the next meet-up.
Cheers!
Kelsey