Are you a friend of mine ... heard me rambling about this "JC" thing and wondered what it is?
The Junior Chamber was often abbreviated as "J C" so it eventually became spelled out as "Jaycees". The Jaycees are larger than just Winston-Salem, they are a state, national and international organization.
The "Jaycees" are a leadership organization that also gives you the opportunity to get to know and help your community. We are focused in 3 main areas: Development (Leadership, Professional and Personal), Community Involvement and Social interaction. Our chapter focuses on age 21 - 40 but "associates" over 40 are welcome to be involved as well!
You get as much as you put into the Jaycees.
* If you want to just have some "scheduled socialization" (as a friend of mine put it once) because you are crazy busy at work - we'll be here when you need us.
* If you want to volunteer but don't know where to start or are intimidated about establishing a relationship with a charity/group - we'll be here when you want to sneak in and join us in helping.
* If you want to learn something new or improve some of your professional skills - we'll be here with a variety of events you can join.
* If you want to lead - if you want to organize your own fundraiser for a charity (like a beer tasting to benefit the American Cancer Society like my husband and I did) - we'll be here to help you get your ideas off the ground and make them a reality.
* If you get really busy and we don't see you for a couple of months - we'll miss you horribly but you are still "part" of us. We have no hour requirements that you need to fulfill.
If you want to know more or want help finding a chapter in your area - shoot me an email:
Here is the website for our Winston-Salem Jaycees chapter as well: http://www.wsjaycees.org
Here is our facebook page as well: http://www.facebook.com/groups/wsjaycees/
Here is a really really good blog from a Jaycee up in WI that speaks directly to how I feel about this organization!