Triangle DevOps Message Board Triangle DevOps Discussion Forum › Mailing List Introduction and Rules

Mailing List Introduction and Rules

Mark M.
user 7368374
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 7
Posted below is the email I sent to the group introducing the mailing list and the rules for using it. It is posted here for easy access to point members to when needed.

-----

If you're receiving this email, it is because you're a member of Triangle DevOps and have opted to receive emails from the mailing list.

Welcome!

Some of you are now scratching your heads wondering when you signed up for this and how to get out. Let me answer that now.

I just turned on the mailing list feature for the Triangle DevOps group through Meetup.com. If you are a member of the group and in your profile have said you want to receive mailing list emails, you're receiving this.

If you do not want to receive these emails, go to your profile where there is an option to not receive mailing list emails. If you disable mailing list emails you will still receive the meetup reminder emails and any announcement emails I send out. You can also set it so you receive a daily digest instead of each mailing list email as it is sent.

That said, I hope you will stick around. The intent of this list is to be a place with a high signal-to-noise ratio where you can ask DevOps questions and carry on DevOps related discussions. Maybe there's something from the last meetup you want to continue discussing, etc. I don't know what the topics will be, but I encourage you to find out.

There are ground rules. I expect everyone to be courteous and respectful. Avoid cursing. I'm not going to censor or ban anyone because of language (unless it is extreme), but generally you can say what you want to say without cursing.

No personal attacks. You can disagree with someone without disparaging them.

Rules on job postings: Job postings are generally welcome; however, let's keep it to operations or developer jobs that apply to DevOps in some way (obviously this is a very loose definition). Let's also try to keep it local or to jobs that accept remote positions. I personally am not interested in every job available in Chicago or Timbuktu.

No recruiters please. While you might be the best recruiter in the world, unfortunately your profession has acquired a bad reputation in the technology world. Focus on improving that and this rule might change, but for now it's easiest to just say no.

To sum up: follow the golden rule and don't be a recruiter and you should be good to go.

If you can't manage this, I have the power to remove you from the list, but I hope never to have to remove anyone.

Here is a Meetup FAQ entry on the mailing list: http://www.meetup.com...­

Please note that by using the mailing list you will expose your email address to everyone on the list. To use the mailing list you will need to send email from the email address you use for meetup.com, or else your email won't make it through.

I will be leaving up the group message board, so feel free to continue to post discussions and ideas there as well. I'll be posting this email there for future and easy reference.

There is also a public mailing list archive, found here: http://www.meetup.com...­

In the event you accidentally post something that should not have seen the light of day, I can delete the email from the archive, but this is the internet, so it will still probably live on in some fashion.

I hope everyone finds this a useful resource and I look forward to the discussions to come.

One last thing: to send to the mailing list, send email to TriangleDevOps-list@meetup.com

Thanks,

Mark Mzyk