Let's go and skate the Neuse River Greenway Trail. The trail is newly paved, runs for 6 miles, and there are no road crossings, making it ideal for skating. Any style of skates are welcome.
What: A no-drop skate of the Neuse River Greenway Trail. Here are some photos from our first and second event on the trail.
Where: The Neuse River Greenway Trail Head, off Falls of Neuse Road. It is very important that you study the map carefully since the entrance is tricky to find.
• I have created an annotated photo that should be helpful. The red X marks the turning to the parking lot.
• Here is a link to a map that very precisely shows where we park our cars, the starting point of the trail, the route, and the ending point of the trail where we typically turn around and head back.
• The address shown on the red "Neuse River Trail" sign gives the address as number "12030", but that is unknown to Google Maps, so just head for 12054 Falls of Neuse Road, Raleigh, and then you will see the turning on the right.
• Please allow enough time to find the parking lot. Call me on[masked] if you get lost.
When: We'll meet at 9am and start skating by 9.15am. If you can't arrive early, please try to gear up as quickly as possible. Yes, this is an early skate! The hope is to get done before it gets too hot to skate!
Distance: 12 miles. The trail runs for 6 miles in one direction.
Ability: Since the trail follows the Neuse River it is mostly flat, but there are some hills and sharp turns, so this trail is for intermediate skaters.
• Being able to brake is essential; here's a helpful video.
• There is some great advice here, which I think everyone can learn from.
Safety First: Everyone is required to wear a helmet, and wrist guards are recommended. Pro-tec brand gear is very good; available online here.
Hydration: Bring a water bottle, or hydration back pack. I recommend a 2 liter Camelbak that carries enough water for 2 hours. There are many more choices at the CamelBak and REI websites. You may wish to use an electrolyte additive too.
Bathrooms: There are no bathrooms at the trail head parking lot. But there are porta-potty bathrooms at the end of the trail, where we rest before heading back.
Weather: In the event of questionable weather we will make a go/no-go call 90 minutes before the scheduled start so please check the Meetup after 7.30am.