Hey, Cyhthia, you asked for ideas, here are some ideas for different contexts for learning chinese language:
1) Chinese Karaoke night - quantity (many songs)
2) Chinese QQ demo (big screen)
3) Make a chinese dish from scratch (like you mom or grandmom did) e.g. Dumplings or noodles
4) Chinese New Year
5) Chinese History - Emperors to Modern China
6) Chinese Movie Evening - Independent Movies or Kung Fu Hustle
7) Famous Chinese, and gossip
8) Chinese Caligraphy
9) Chinese mysticism and superstition, Yin, Yang, health systems, 888, Fung Sui
10) Anthing that can attract native Chinese speakers, ice skating, bowling, golf
11) Chinese meetup peer friendship group connection
12) Chinese through music - quality (one song)
Weekly language evenings for all.
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Cynthia <[address removed]> wrote:
> > Sue,
> > As we discussed earlier, I've sent out an email to only assistant
> > organizers to plan the Chinese classes including some preliminary thoughts
> > on location, duration/structure of the class and the biggest challenge of
> > all, asking for standard Chinese speakers to volunteer teaching so that in
> > case we are out of town that the classes will continuously be offered to the
> > members FOR FREE. We do have available teaching materials - scripts and CDs
> > - from pronunciation to greetings, numbers, dates (by topic). The idea is to
> > have one hour per week, including half an hour learning words and phrases,
> > another half an hour of conversational practice using those words.
> > For the group:
> > 1) we are gathering ideas - how you want to learn Chinese - things like
> > what Sue mentioned earlier wearing name tags, etc.
> > 2) let us know of any location that you know - whatever coffee shop, tea
> > house, restaurant that we can find a separate room that holds at least 10
> > people so that we can rotate if we need to. The starbucks I found was a
> > perfect place but we want to see if there's anything like that elsewhere.
> > 3) your preference of the location, time (we are thinking maybe 11am,
> > Saturday), teaching method. We won't be able to make everyone happy in every
> > way, but we will try to accommodate the needs for the majority of the
> > group.
> > The teaching plan, and the finalized details will be sent to you later.
> > This should be something that delivers real values for our group in the year
> > of 2009.
> > Happy holidays!
> > Cynthia