Don L.
AZAtheist
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 148
Random Atheist quotes are available at Atheist Geek News...check it out here
A former member
Post #: 10
Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted on man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false.
-Bertrand Russell

There are like a billion different religions, so, you know, keep that in mind, I guess.
-T Rex from Dinosaur Comics

Shane J.
user 9839520
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
"I do not, and simply cannot subscribe to the non-secular definition of an atheist. I am by true standards and real definition, a secular realist. you can accept it or not but by true definition that is what i am." ~ME~

This is a Richard Dawkins response to a rebuke about his effectiveness as an atheism educator about his answer of either they buy his books or they don't, "A previous editor at New Scientist magazine said to me once, "this is our policy at New Scientist; science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can F**K OFF!"

"For one person or many to believe that morality is simply a religious virtue, and that without religion that all of mankind would be living in sin is at best a moronic idea that presents the question. How did humanity ever survive before the time of Christ, and why is it only now that they believe all manners of morality have been dictated by religious ideals? We the People of the intellectual communities of the world have shown that morality evolvesĀ  through progression of intelligence. Take a cannibalistic tribe in a hidden part of an African jungle with no advancement of technology, you will find that even today these tribes beliefs are far off from what any intelligent person would consider moral ideals. Proven statement that morality is completely secular, to conclude my statement in the words of my 6 year old niece, "neener neener neener!"" ~ME~

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever." ~Woody Allen~

"I don't believe in the after life, although I am bringing a change of underwear." ~Woody Allen~

“If there is a God, atheism must seem to Him as less of an insult than religion.” ~Edmond de Goncourt~

"If you simply read the bible fully in its entirety, you read it at its most literal manner in which for something so serious has rought onto mankind the most murderous, prejudice, immoral ideals. Far be it for anyone to tell you that your true understanding is wrong, for a system in which it dictates that your personal preception is to be held higher than something like science, or facts like definitions. it will show you the path directly to Atheism not to The Great Spagetti Monster God." ~Anonymous~

"Personal perception is easily influenced in an ignorant lost mind. Ask any Preist." ~ME~
Jeff H.
user 4367768
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 2
Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story.

~George Carlin~
A former member
Post #: 30
Very good. I guess I have always wondered how they quantify such subjective information. I guess it gets down to what is your definition of happy and what criteria you put out there to define it. That being said, the criteria defined by a Christian group for happiness may be severely different that the happiness value of an atheist.

Nuff said.
Dave
user 10231222
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 31
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Stephen Roberts

Now THAT is a good quote!

My fav is:

One man's religion is another man's bellylaugh. -- Robert Heinlein

Mitchell
zenguy
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 69
"God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable.
They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority,
soothing to their macerated egos: He will set them above their betters." -
H.L. Mencken

(I don't have a single, favorite, atheist quote. This is just a pretty good one I ran across.)
Charles M.
user 13299283
Sierra Vista, AZ
Post #: 1
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~ Voltair
Ben B.
user 12763886
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 2
Mythology is what we call somebody else's religion. (A close paraphrase of Robert Graves)

I slept with Faith,
And found a corpse beside me on awaking.
I drank and danced all night with Doubt,
And found her a virgin in the morning.

--Alistair Crowleigh
Mitchell
zenguy
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 86
"Christianity: The belief that some cosmic Jewish Zombie can make
you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically
tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil
force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was
convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. Makes
perfect sense."

(Dunno who wrote that - I got it as a sig line in an email.)