Hey there Tuscon Atheists! Today is the National Day of REASON! Please come be part of the coordinated celebration/demonstration across the state! We are asking you to use some time today to call or write your elected officials, especially Gov. Brewer and tell them why reason and reason based government is so crucial.
Here is what this is what it is about for Arizonians and a is a link to some resources, including talking points, email and letter templates, printable postcards, "find your representative" links
and other resources to use when making your voices heard! Thank you for your time and attention.
Secular Coalition for Arizona, on behalf of its 12 nontheistic liaised organizations throughout the state, called on Governor Brewer to declare May 3, 2012 a Day of Reason in opposition to the recent flood of religiously-motivated legislation penned by policymakers in Arizona. The Governor rejected Secular Coalition for Arizona’s request for a proclamation, but we are nonetheless joining the larger countrywide movement advocating a National Day of Reason.
- We are celebrating the National Day of Reason because reason-based, secular government is required for true liberty, true justice and true equality.
- We are celebrating the National Day of Reason because reason is foundational—not just to a functional society, but to a truly compassionate one.
- Human progress and advancements in human well-being are the result of human reason.
- Religiously motivated legislation, even if it represents the views of a majority, is tyrannical because it requires individuals to live under religious laws that may be contrary to their own faith or nonbelief perspective. If a policy cannot be justified in reason-based secular language applying to all citizens, it cannot be justified, period.
- Religious liberty is an INDIVIDUAL right, not a corporate one, not a governmental one. Reason ensures that no personal or corporate ideology infringes on the religious freedoms of any individual.
Look here for printable email templates and postcards, talking points and information on identifying your state representatives!
Join us in making this a day that gets the attention of our legislators and our fellow Arizonians!