Tucson Atheists Message Board › FFRF v. Brewer

FFRF v. Brewer

Steve K
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 47
On March 15, the Freedom From Religion Foundation filed suit in Federal Court for the District of Arizona to prevent the governor from issuing a proclamation supporting religion on the National Day of Prayer (May 5). Here's the press release from FFRF.

I think this is great. I know some people think we should pick our battles and not worry about issues like this which are purely symbolic. (In 2009, the NDoP proclamation fell between a proclamation recognizing Colorectal Cancer Screening Month and a proclamation for sibling appreciation day.) I also know that some think that none of these topics are any of the Governor's business, but the truth is, the Constitution does not prohibit her from giving us advice about our rectums or about our relationships with our siblings. It does prohibit her from promoting religion, which is exactly what she's doing when she issues an NDoP proclamation.