Tucson Atheists Message Board › Favorite Atheist Quote

Favorite Atheist Quote

Josh
jlaz
Rio Rico, AZ
Post #: 10
1. I don't know who said it or what the exact original words were, but over the years I have enjoyed the saying that the definition of a "Religious War" is a war in which folks fight to the death over the question of whose imaginary friend is real and better and stronger and more powerful.

2. Along with this thought, I'd say, in reference to present-day Middle-East-centered conflicts, that people (on all sides) have been dying needlessly in The Crusades for roughly 1000 years, and that seems to be continuing. I think one can make the argument that The Crusades not only were never a valid activity, but are still continuing.
Josh
jlaz
Rio Rico, AZ
Post #: 17
A friend remarked to me that the existence of Christianity itself... (its full irrational destructive evil force in the lives of humanity for so many centuries) is proof in itself that God does not exist. This strikes me as a thought-provoking quote from an atheist (which this person is). It is not a proof per se, but rather a way of making a point.
Robert L S.
icexxcube
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 148
Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand.
- Mark Twain

Robert L S.
icexxcube
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 151
"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion..."

From Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli 1797. Unanimously ratified by the U.S. Senate and signed by President John Adams.
Robert L S.
icexxcube
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 188
Every nut who kills people has a Bible lying around. If you're looking for violent rape imagery, the Bible's right there in your hotel room. If you just want to look up ways to screw people up, there it is, and you're justified because God told you to.
Penn Jillette
A former member
Post #: 1
"The ultimate excuse is here
Die for a cause, religion is fear
Fear - the threat of something unreal
Abdicate the way you really feel!"

- Subhumans "Religious Wars"
Don L.
AZAtheist
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 23
"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike."

-- Delos McKown
Mark J.
user 3818226
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that
may never be questioned."
Mark J.
user 3818226
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 2
"So little knowledge and yet so much certainty. What a deadly combination."

-- the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board, in response to a creationist.

http://www.straightdo...­
A former member
Post #: 6
Here are just a few of my favorite atheist quotes:

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything"- Friedrich Nietzche

"An Atheist is a man with no invisible means of support"- John Buchan

"The more I study religions, the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself"- Richard Francis Burton