addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Tucson Atheists Message Board › Favorite Atheist Quote

Favorite Atheist Quote

Robert L S.
icexxcube
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 195
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
- Steven Weinberg
Steve K
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 12
"In science, it is a cardinal sin to pretend to know something that you do not know. Such pretense is the very essence of religious faith."

Sam Harris, Faith Won't Heal a Divided World, OnFaith on Newsweek/WaPo.com
Steve K
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 13
"If you gave Falwell an enema, he could be buried in a matchbox."

Christopher Hitchens, at the very end of his appearance on Hannity & Colmes on May 16, 2007.
Mark J.
user 3818226
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 13
"If you gave Falwell an enema, he could be buried in a matchbox."

Christopher Hitchens, at the very end of his appearance on Hannity & Colmes on May 16, 2007.

This is just beautiful. Thank you. Made my morning.
Steve K
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 19
"Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom." -- Mitt Romney in his "Faith In America" address, December 6, 2007.

"Freedom requires religion like a slug requires salt." -- Pat Condell in his "Pimping for Jesus" video, December 18, 2007.
Steve K
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 21
"[S]cience provides one way to understand the world, while religion provides millions of ways to misunderstand it." -- PZ Myers in Pharyngula, January 5, 2008.
Steve K
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 23
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -- Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion

Dawkins discussed this quote when he spoke at ASU on his God Delusion University Tour 2008.
Josh
jlaz
Rio Rico, AZ
Post #: 125
"Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom." -- Mitt Romney in his "Faith In America" address, December 6, 2007.

"Freedom requires religion like a slug requires salt." -- Pat Condell in his "Pimping for Jesus" video, December 18, 2007.

Great stuff, thanks. I liked his comment here also:

"I get emails from people who live in the Bible Belt and who tell me that they're afraid to go public as Atheists because they think it would affect the family business if people knew they didn't believe in God. Is this the kind of religious freedom that America is so proud of? 'Praise the Lord, or else....'? ... "
Steve K
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 27
"No, but I believe in Plexiglas."

U.S. Army Spc. Jeremy Hall, after his commander asked whether he believed in God when the protective shield on Hall's Humvee took several bullets in a firefight in Iraq in 2007.

from "Atheist soldier claims harassment"; Sat April 26, 2008.
veronica
user 7033735
Scranton, PA
Post #: 7
''Isaac is up in Heaven now.'' It was the funniest thing I could have said to a group of Humanists. I rolled them in the aisles. It was several minutes before order could be restored.

'And if I should ever die, God forbid, I hope you will say, ''Kurt is up in Heaven now.'' That’s my favorite joke.'

-Kurt Vonnegut