Tucson Atheists Message Board › Teaching the Bible in Arizona Schools

Teaching the Bible in Arizona Schools

Mitchell
zenguy
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 138
There is a proposal currently working its way through our legislature that would design a course for teaching about the bible in our public schools. As atheists, our first reaction is to be against it. But, isn't it true that learning about the bible promotes disbelief in religion? I think that's true. And therefore I think that this is a law that we should promote. However, it should be part of the law that no teacher of this subject should be a believer in a religion based on that book. What we want to promote is knowledge of what the bible actually says.
Gregg C.
user 32918712
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
The story of the camel putting its nose in the tent comes to mind. If they want the taxpayer to pay for a religious literature course in school,. it must contain Koran, Upanishads, Book of Mormon, Torah, Beauty Way, Confucius and Clarence Darrow. And, IMHO, those works are not appropriate until high school as they are no longer useful for indoctrination if presented equally as literature.

It is doubtful; the legislature would agree to teaching the stork theory of birth instead of the biology -- any more than they would allow the Koran, Upanishads and Book of Mormon to be taught on equal footing. That is, however, if the legislature understands the constitution -- which in Arizona seems dubious.

Gregg

Ben B.
user 12763886
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 20
Let us not forget that the Bible is inconsistent in all aspects. Teaching from or about the Bible, you have a choice: you can be totallly objective and show that it is inconsistent, vague, absurd and contradictory, or you can be selective/subjective and claim that it is consistent if you interpret it a certain way . . . which would be teaching a religion in a public school.

Personally, I would not object to teaching the history of the major religions in public schools (which is an objective treatment), but there are more important things a student has to learn in those 12 years.

BB
Mitchell
zenguy
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 139
The story of the camel putting its nose in the tent comes to mind.

Gregg

Yes. In this case we are the camel, and the big tent is the Christian society we live in.

But a course in The Bible could be negative or positive, depending on how it is taught.

Gregg C.
user 32918712
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 2
Mitchell:

I am not against censorship or in any way suggesting the Boble (Koran, etc.) not be included in our puboic school libraries -- or referred to in literature classes. But, I think the proposition in hand is a door opener to teachers of the religious stripe (more than 50%) to push their interpretations AND offers no equity to other sacred or secular works for comparative OR critical study. I also believe the wording is "Congress shall make NO law"and since the bible is a foundational document for Christianity (a religion) my position become more than crystal clear. I oppose this.

Another problem is that to study the bible one would have to choose a translation, version -- or have a prerequisite in classic Greek of Aramaic.

This,, to me, is a dicey move that allows Christians to say "look, my "sacred" book is worthy of study -- " rather than a potential eye opening experience. I woiuld rather see the effort spent on requiring critical thinking course teaching techniques, not old documents that need to be evaluated with a critical eye.

Gregg