Tucson Atheists Message Board › Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world.

Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world.

Mitchell
zenguy
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 179
Bob M.
user 52544082
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 3
http://news.msn.com/u...­
Tucson could use one of these...
Jack
user 33342652
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
THis kind of looks like a solution looking for a problem and reinforces the accusation that Atheism is a "religion". The imagery shown in the article of the couple on stage sure looks like it could have been taken at some rousing bible meet; even with the woman doing the "waving at god" thing some christians like to do.

Certainly becoming more prominent in society is a good thing for atheists to do. "Coming Out" publicly as individuals and stop worrying about causing strife in families/social networks by remaining silent and "going along with" is something we should all do. I look at this atheist vs. religious thing as a civil rights issue as much as a philosophical issue. There already exists plenty of venues for individuals to celebrate their humanness and altruistic urges. What we should be doing is forcing them to be secular and inclusive. Ya can't make an omelet without breaking eggs.
Alan
Rocket0023
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 4
I'm going this weekend in Phoenix. anyone else?
Mitchell
zenguy
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 180
What event are you referring to?
Greg C.
user 8398410
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 149
What's the point, except to mock the Fundies? It doesn't look like they sit around and discuss the philosophic implications of a Godless universe or offer support to members who are breaking from their church, etc. Instead, it appears they do little more than ape and/or spoof the typical activities found in Christian churches. I suppose there's a fair bit of 'fellowship' going on, but I'd argue that Brother Philip's Church of the Red Garter, and other TA activities, already offer plenty of that already.
Pete N.
user 10224016
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 3
What's the point, except to mock the Fundies? It doesn't look like they sit around and discuss the philosophic implications of a Godless universe or offer support to members who are breaking from their church, etc. Instead, it appears they do little more than ape and/or spoof the typical activities found in Christian churches. I suppose there's a fair bit of 'fellowship' going on, but I'd argue that Brother Philip's Church of the Red Garter, and other TA activities, already offer plenty of that already.
I think that its mocking nature is due to its founding by a couple of comedians. I agree - I don't get the point. And "donation boxes"???? Too organized for my taste. I'm sure the congregation will shrink when the novelty wears off. Maybe they will even develop offshoots ala Lutherans. smile
Alan
Rocket0023
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 5
What event are you referring to?
http://www.eventbrite...­
Gregg C.
user 32918712
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 11
I note that the media has labeled the "Assembly" a church -- with its usual aplomb and misuse of proper English as she is connoted.

I feel that atheists, agnostic and freethinkers do need a place to congregate, use for meetings and affinity groups, but I do not have the means to establish (or even rent) such a facility -- which in my opinion (let me accent that, OPINION) should have a library, coffee house maybe a bar and bingo to support secular activities.

It would not need doctrines, dogma, belief systems or to be in business just to make money -- or support politicians. Support for secular legislation and ideas would also be essential -- especially if not hooked to endorsing particular politicians or personalities.

But, that is just my opinion -- regardless of the media label.
Mitchell
zenguy
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 181
I feel that atheists, agnostic and freethinkers do need a place to congregate, use for meetings and affinity groups, but I do not have the means to establish (or even rent) such a facility -- which in my opinion (let me accent that, OPINION) should have a library, coffee house maybe a bar and bingo to support secular activities.
Gregg has a cool idea there. Some other groups have such a place. He is describing a "Community Center". We should have a Freethinkers Community Center.