Tucson Atheists Message Board › DNR/DNI

DNR/DNI

Chinh
user 33279222
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 5
just some clarification for those who are curious.

DO NOT RESUSCITATE/DO NOT INTUBATE (DNR/DNI) means that if you are found nonresponsive, no attempt is made to bring you back.

FULL CODE means that if you are found nonresponsive, health care personnel are authorized to do whatever they can to bring you back. if the individual's wishes are unknown, legally, i believe most providers are obliged to assume the person is full code.

this is separate from the issue of withdrawing care. on average, most people want health care providers to try, you just don't want to be stuck on a machine in perpetuity in a vegetative state. so you wish to be FULL CODE, but if the situation is hopeless, you don't want futile measures taken to unnecessarily prolong your life. as another example, if someone is on life support, the family can opt to change them to DNR/DNI. if there is a disaster, no heroic measures will be taken, but care will otherwise go on as usual to try and reverse the illness and the patient is still on life support. if the situation eventually appears hopeless, the family can opt to withdraw care. you do need to be DNR/DNI before care can be withdrawn.

in this event, you need to notify a power of attorney of your wishes in the event that you are unable to speak for yourself. you can do this with a living will if you do not wish to name someone as a power of attorney. if there is no legal documentation as to who is your power of attorney, i do believe states have appointed hierarchy of relations of who the responsibility falls upon, which may vary from state to state (i.e., usually it is spouse first, then children, then parents, then siblings; i could have that incorrect). for instance, if any of you are going to undergo even "minor" surgery, i strongly recommend that you let your power of attorney know what you would want for yourself in the unfortunate event that you are incapacitated.

in the case of the woman from TX, marlise munoz, as far as i can tell, she and her husband privately told each other that they would not want prolonged life support. that has nothing to do with a DNR/DNI order. one would guess that she was found nonresponsive and successfully resuscitated, i.e. treated as FULL CODE, only afterwards to find out she was brain dead. her wishes at this point were made known, so the issue is withdrawing care. the family is left with a double dilemma. one, it appears there was no living will (this was the problem with the schiavo family, incidentally). two, it appears that, even if there were one, TX law regarding the unborn baby overrides it.
Steve K
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 69
Thanks for clarifying.