align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Tucson Atheists Message Board › I'm on TV

I'm on TV

Don L.
AZAtheist
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
I was interviewed on KOLD TV (13) on the Day of Prayer rally for youth at Reid Park today (7 May). It should play at 10PM...
A former member
Post #: 247
Don:

Thank you for letting us know. Could you please provide the link to the interview in this discussion thread so that we all get to hear your comments?

Thank you. Look forward to seeing it.

Deb
Don L.
AZAtheist
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 199
I don't know if they'll post the interview on the net but I'll get my piece up on YouTube soon. Then I'll post the link here...That is if I can figure out how to get the DVR recording transferred to a machine readable format suitable for YouTube...you may be able to catch it by Googling KOLD TV but it isn't up now.
A former member
Post #: 249
I'll look forward to the Utube or the provision of the link, whichever comes first. Just be sure to give us a heads up here so I comes out as a reminder on the message board.

Good luck with technology - I truly love it - but sometimes it can really become a time "sink".

Deb
A former member
Post #: 250
Hi Don:

Saw the interview regarding the "National Day of Prayer". As usual, the "pro" got more air time than the "con" for this topic, but it was a neutral enough discussion which I think is the beginning of healthy debate. That being said, I really don't care if there is a National Day of Prayer or not. I do recognize everyone's right to believe what they believe. My big peeve has always been that the overzealous have been "in your face" about it. They are disruptive to other people's rights to their beliefs. Also, regarding religion when it comes to policy development or spending of funds, I want separation of church and state, which you matter of factly pointed out in your interview. Prayer, to me, is a social activity much like people meet to ride motorcycles, play volleyball or attend a community lecture. Hopefully we can still do all those things in our parks. One day a year is not offensive to me, but when any activity takes camp in a park, which is a public space, that creates a "territory" where no one else can use that same space for peaceful and use by others for their activity; it disrpectful towards our ideals to share our public spaces.

In keeping with some of the thoughts presented above, I just want to remind everyone that we have many "National Day of ..........Whatever" observed on an annual basis. Many of them serious, many of them wacky, many of them totally ignored. So, take a look at some of these at:

http://holidayinsight...­

For some atheists, we would consider this day just another "special interest" day being observed by some and getting equal time to some of the really wacky activities out there. That being said, if it is not a regular pattern inhibiting others from getting equal time, to me, it is just another special interest group getting their fifteen minutes. Unfortunately, we know in some communities it extends well beyond this, in fact, into bullying situations. Sooooo not good - plus it generally is not within the ethics of what the faith intended.

As the Buddhists say: Enjoy everything in moderation, including moderation. I just think that respectful common sense must prevail - which to me is - separation of church and state.