add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Tucson Atheists Message Board › Do I Dare To Ask the Question?

Do I Dare To Ask the Question?

A former member
Post #: 381
We have had several meeting lately on topics about how do Atheists think relative to topics and other groups. That being said, on a national level, how do you think most atheists vote? Anyone know of any research done on this?

Independent, Democrate, Republican, Green, Libertarian, Tea Party (a new party) and then the upcoming party Coffee Party (not kidding).

Or is it like everything else? We're all over the map?

Philip M.
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 13
I would say, based on my experiences, that we probably have the same distribution of party affiliations are the general population, but there is one big difference. When listening to political discussions among our members and other atheists, I find that atheists generally have more thoroughly thought through their positions, and are more willing to discuss their views without becoming angry and defensive about it. It's an altogether more enjoyable, more rewarding manner of exchanging ideas, in my opinion.
A former member
Post #: 382
Thanks for the input. smile
A former member
Post #: 388
See the attached link to Tucson Weekly that is not quite the answer to my question, but does quote the leader of CFI here in Tucson.

user 10231222
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 1,351
I suspect that atheists lean a bit toward the liberal. While it's true that atheists run the whole spectrum of political affiliation...once you get to the rabid, religious right, atheists of all stripes balk.
Don L.
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 214
Atheists tend to be more educated, freethinking, rational, and skeptical of dogmatic beliefs. Liberals tend to be more educated, freethinking, rational and skeptical of dogmatic beliefs. Therefor Atheists tend to be more liberal. There are exceptions, however, and there are a few that tend to be socially liberal but economically conservative. That's reasonable also. Libertarianism tends to be socially liberal yet fiscally conservative so you'll see libertarians strongly represented in the Atheist groups.
A former member
Post #: 394
Thanks for your insight. You/ve been at this awhile. smile
A former member
Post #: 395

Thanks for you input from the Phoenix area with the following:

Do I Dare To Ask the Question?

"I suspect that atheists lean a bit toward the liberal. While it's true that atheists run the whole spectrum of political affiliation...once you get to the rabid, religious right, atheists of all stripes balk."

A former member
Post #: 9
It seems to me an over-reach to declare liberals to be more independent and rational than conservatives.

For an interesting comparison on conservatives and liberals on measures of cognitive ability, see this article in the American: http://www.american.c...­

One conclusion by the author is that people who hold non-traditional or non-mainstream views tend to have above-average intelligence, so by extension, atheists are probably on average more intelligent than those who cling to the religion they grew up with.
As for political perspective, the author distinguishes between social conservatism (very traditional and perhaps non-intellectual) and economic conservatism, which in my view requires greater insight and critical thinking skills to understand and articulate than economic liberalism.
A former member
Post #: 403
Hi Joy:

Thanks for your input to my question. I will review the site that you posted with a keener eye in the future. At casual glance there were many interesting titles: One of note I did find somewhat disturbing.

Something to effect about the myths of struggling artists and how earning money makes better art. Another myth. Truth of the matter is, good or even better, great art is created through a process that is independent of funds. But to ask an artist to struggle, just like anyone else in a society that "has not", is just somewhat inhumane. The truth of the matter is, there will always be the "haves" and "have nots", but hopefully as a society we can create public policy that elevates all peoples who "have not" to a level where they are more productive members of society and have some sort of equal footing to find some pleasure before they die. Now if an artist is more productive, that does not necessary mean they are producing better art. It just means that they can produce more stuff to sell.

Also, just to understand the emphasis of the site - who funds it? As in who pays the bill?

I'll look forward to meeting you sometime and welcome to our group.