Tucson Atheists Message Board › Why are Christians such Jerks about their beliefs?

Why are Christians such Jerks about their beliefs?

A former member
Post #: 1
Seriously. My own mother has always been a complete Jerk about God up until recently when I just told her to bug off and that I did not believe in her beliefs and to stay away from me forever.

But my whole life, anytime I come across a follower of Christ, and I let them know I simply do not follow their faith, they then proceed to try and convert me. Then when they are failing miserably, they become complete jerks to me.

If something goes against their belief, like a Rock concert, they are complete Jerks about it and protest it.

If they come into your land, and you do not convert, they will kill you (based on past track record), or scream you are going to hell, they call you a follower of that other made up character Satan.

These Jerks are infecting the planet.

They go on their everyday lives thinking they are so perfect and saved because they have blind faith in a fairy tale. They wait till the end times where they will be lifted up into the sky and saved from the destruction below. So it seems since they feel in the end it won't matter, that all will be destroyed and they will be saved, they just go around and start wars, destroy environments, and just trying to be a complete Jerk to everyone and everything.

Stupid Christian Jerks.

I feel better, thanks.

A former member
Post #: 425
Andrew:

Glad you feel better. While browsing the site, I came across a "sharing moment" from Brandon Northcutt as a comment under the last event site on militant atheist. He offered up a ten minute monologue by George Carlin, who I truly believe walked on water when he was alive. It is great for some good laughs. You may want to take a look at it.

http://www.youtube.co...­

Dave
user 10231222
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 1,365
Heh! Jerks! I've been there, amigo, we all have.
Mitchell
zenguy
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 60

http://www.youtube.co...­

Yeah, Carlin on religion is a must view!

m
A former member
Post #: 426
Andrew:

Followed my own advice and watched a whole lot of Carlin the other night. Absolutely great! The funny thing is, I believe much of society got the guy wrong. They knew he was bright, but they thought he was difficult. Many deemed him a cynic. From the George Carlin Anti-Holy Book (although, I believe he was an agnostic):

"Most cynics are disappointed idealists."

Idealists whether having a faith or not are the people of the world who want the species to survive. They are sensitive and give a damn compared to the deadheads that only see themselves in the moment. An this comes from an "akward PC" who has "checked in" most of her life without needing to let people know where she is every moment. (I know you don't get the last part.)

Anyway, sincerely hope you are feeling better. Carlin suffered from heart problems most of his life. Lipitor and all the other desensitizing drugs didn't exist then. They are the modern day tune in and turn off drugs of the Boomers. Maybe if people just found what fulfills them a little more , whatever their definition of reasonable fulfillment or the situation that blocks it, perhaps these modern day Valiums wouldn't be needed . He had a great mind and I believe was ahead of the general population in his analytical skills, but also the will to speak out and test the system in a lawful way. He loved his Country (served in the Air Force as a young man) and tested the boundaries of censorship which indirectly the Atheists have benefited. Usually censorship occurs outside cultural norms. Atheism is considered to be that. As a group, humanity should worry about building good people and stop worrying about which superstitious religion is going to take all the toys and use them to their advantage, usually control of people (although, the crazy faction within the later group are basically terrorists that do disrupt us all from getting along). We recently witnessed one member of that faction out of Florida nearly cause another round of global-wide disputes that would have ended in more loss of life.

Now I feel better. Thanks.
John T.
user 5081321
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 33
We are defined by the stories we believe about how the world works - they are our identities. The greatest effort you will ever make is to understand your own story; the greatest insight you will ever have about another is to understand their story.

When we meet someone who does not seem to understand and agree with our story, our identities are challenged and we fight back - sometime lethally. Critical thinking is all about learning how to figure out stories like this and atheists have done a better job on the god stories than anyone else. If you are not quite sure what story holds in place of god, then perhaps that is what an agnostic would be.

My best George Carlin observation comes from the understanding that all heavy elements in the universe were made in the cores of stars that then exploded - "We are all made of stardust!" Now you can't feel better than that!
A former member
Post #: 427

When we meet someone who does not seem to understand and agree with our story, our identities are challenged and we fight back - sometime lethally.

It is an always phrase. I don't think there is an always for any situation that is socially driven - perhaps there is in the physical sciences, but that is not my area of expertise. So your last statement also was confusing to me. I feel better because I am from stardust? Hmmm.
Mitchell
zenguy
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 61

I feel better because I am from stardust? Hmmm.

It's a combination of science & poetry.
A former member
Post #: 429
Gracias Mitchell. :>D Is it a well-known poem or a spur of the moment play on words?
John T.
user 5081321
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 34
You are right, I was arguing inductively and even if you have never seen a case otherwise (e. g. the sun always has always risen), you cannot be sure the next case will not be different. This is the nature of science, physical or social.

As for stardust, yes, I was waxing poetic. Sorry, but I do feel better because of that thought (and its likely truth) and because George Carlin was with us for a while. Just because there is no god does not mean we cannot imagine a cosmic connection even if it is just physics.