Post #: 477
Extortion is a form of bullying and therefore is a form of mental violence against another person.
So the last of the list reviews this topic. It is basically seven days ( with a brief hiaturs - sorry was buys) of examples of violence due to religion. The information I found was enlightening to me. Way beyond what I had known. I had always known that man was violent through history, but in the name of religion it isn't just about the power of taking something from another, it is also about the power of torment of others if you "choose" not to believe usually enforced by the indoctrination of fear. That whole concept in itself isa concept of extortion. So, just a few examples today before I leave the subject behind. (By the way, does anybody know how I can get my email function working again? Can receive 'em but can't send 'em or reply to anyone - hmmmm.
The list of extortion:
- The concept of "free will" of burning forever in damnation or accepting "god's will". It's the old "My way or the highway." Interesting article: (http://www.exminister...)
- Forcing of tithing when one cannot afford and financially forming a dependency on the same institution enforcing tithing by shame and fear. Many just are cut off from any form of community support if they don't "recant".
- This story of a bizarre cult training Brazilain orphans to murder Mormon religious leaders is so bizarre you just have to read it for yourself: http://www.religionne...
- In Bangladesh fabricated charges that Christians had paid Muslims to participate in a river baptism for financial extortion ending in physical violence (http://www.crosswalk.... )
- Fear of life and safety of family of Galileo (sorry people, this one is a big one with me) if he does not recant his theories and experimental proof of the earth revolving around the sun.
- The extortion of sex for salvation in contemporary Mormon and Christian fundamentalist polygamy
- Nigeria - Children accused of witchcraft by local Christians are often incarcerated in churches for weeks on end and beaten, starved and tortured in order to extract a confession (http://edition.cnn.co... )
- Allegations of financial extortion within the church of Scientology but all the explanations I have seen in print are so convoluted in their explanations that who knows what's going on there
- A whole book written on it: Extortion from the Pulpit: The Real Truth About Tithing [Hardcover]
Dr. Harvey Waller Jr.
[*}Jizya - a poll tax enforced by Muslim to people outside their faith to remind them of their inferior status. I guess if you join up your are tax-free other than tithings. (http://www.thereligio... ) (http://www.hyperhisto... )
- Vioence towards Buddhists under Jizya ( http://www.unhcr.org/... )
After the admitted cursory review of seven days of violence I come away feeling that true morality and is not in the institutions but in the actions of good people who simply choose to be that way, with or without an institution telling them how to think. In fact, it is the latter concept that seems to be getting us all in trouble with each other. So this Atheist steps down from the discussion at this point and will go about her life as best as possible, hopefully with the least interference as possible, and when need be, assistance from others just because they are able to pull up self-induced empathy for another human being.
It's Friday people - have a great weekend - hopefully around those you love.
Edited by User 409,104 on Oct 15, 2010 12:54 PM