!!!- IMAGE SUBMISSIONS EXTENDED TO SATURDAY 6AM -!!!
* TRIAL RUN: Going to try and blend critique with challenge submssions. After the challenge members that submitted entries will be given a chance to have their images critiqued.
IMPORTANT! ALL IMAGE SUBMISSIONS (challenge, critique, portfolio, Before-n-After, etc) ARE TO BE IN .JPG FORMAT, EACH FILE SMALLER THAN 1MB AND EMAILED TO: [masked] NO LATER THAN MIDNIGHT THE THURSDAY BEFORE THE MEETUP. FILES NEED TO BE RENAMED PER BELOW INSTRUCTIONS
** Donations: Each month we pass the hat for an appreciated, but not obligated, suggested donation of $2.00 per person which goes towards church usage fees, meetup site yearly dues, equipment & consumables to run the meetings and helps make other events possible. You are also welcome to contribute at any time by using the below Paypal Donate button:
** Prize!: Challenge Winners Receive 20% Off Their Meal @ Our Social & Lunch
(must be redeemed same day at our Social & Lunch following this meeting)
** This Months Challenge: Candle Light, chosen by our winners Craig McDonald & Alan Kearney, congratulations! No further description for this one.. shoot what it means to you, just has to have some connection to candle light.
** This Months Seminar/Tutorial: Photography Myth Busting!
Personally I dislike only knowing something because I was told, I like seeing, knowing, feeling and understanding "why". Knowledge is power they say.. and I totally agree.
I plan on taking some of the most illusive common photography related statements, rules, guidelines, etc and PROVING them to the point we all "know". Here are a few for this meeting.
* Do you need a better lens to get sharp pictures OR do you need to understand lighting? I'll show you how tremendously lighting effects sharpness, you just may stop busying lenses and start studying lighting instead. It's much cheaper!
* White Balance and perfect colors, the flying unicorn of photography! Wait until you see this demonstration, you'll never view the world the same way again!
* When is a picture so different from the original scene it "isn't a picture of the scene" anymore. Boy, is this an old debate or what? We are about to understand the workings of creating a picture of a scene that next time this debate comes up you'll just smile, nod your head politely and hide your yawning over this one!
I'll do this by showing the all too often confused concept of "picture style" setting in your camera. Natural, Standard, Landscape, etc.
We will also learn the step by step process of how a digital image is created, only 4 steps. Once you learn this you'll have a better understanding TONS of your common questions will be answered automatically. Again, knowledge is power! Brace yourself for this one, you just might find your camera and lens is only about 20% of the picture quality / look, and the software used to create the viewable image about 80%... this one is shocking for most people.
If you are serious about wanting to understand photography you really should not miss one.
(we normally finish up around 12:30pm, but can run earlier/later depending on the turn out)
* New members are offered to introduce themselves and share little history on their connection to photography.
* Gadget show and tell: Anyone, bring photography related gadgets to [briefly] explain and/or pass around. This is pot luck and we do 1-3 items. If we don't get yours this time, we'll catch it next time!
* Mention any new note worthy group news or changes (if any).
* Members are offered to share upcoming photography related opportunities
* Members are invited to share recent photography achievements (published, won award, etc).
* Monthly Challenge: (see intro for topic and suggester)
The Challenge has two divisions: No & Light (including right from camera) and Heavy post processing. Members may submit ONE image to each division, it is up to the member to decide which division an image belongs. IMPORTANT: Files must be renamed as follows: yourname_challenge_light.jpg or yourname_challenge_heavy.jpg (see intro for email address and deadline). Images are to be taken within the time period the topic is announced (since the previous meeting/30 days).
* Before-n-After: Send two images which are before and after (a little or a lot of) processing. Be ready to give a brief explanation of the processing. IMPORTANT: Files must be renamed as follows: yourname_before.jpg and yourname_after.jpg (see intro for email address and deadline).
* Critique: You're invited to send up to TWO images for group comments/feedback. IMPORTANT: Files must be renamed as follows: yourname_critique1-2.jpg (see intro for email address and deadline).
* Portfolio: Send up to 10 of your images to share with us and tell us a little about how you took them. IMPORTANT: Files must be renamed as follows: yourname_portfolio1-10.jpg (see intro for email address and deadline).
--- 10 minute break ---
* Seminar/Tutorial: (see intro for this months topic and host)
Each month we have from 20 minutes to an hour seminar, tutorial, demonstration hosted by members and/or outsides companies. We'd love to have you host one, got and idea? Email it to an organizer or mention it at the meetup.
* Put tables/chairs back (all help much appreciated) and head over to the SLAW (Social, Lunch and Workshop). The SLAW is a separate event and posted individually to our calendar, be sure to RSVP for it!
See you there!
* Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement
By clicking the “RSVP” button, I hereby agree to waive any liability and hold the Tucson Photography Meetup Group, it’s organizers, assistants, and members hereinafter referred to at the “Tucson Meetup Group”), harmless from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions and causes of action, whatsoever arising out of or relating to any loss, damage or injury, including death, that may be sustained by me, or to any property belonging to me, whether caused by the negligence by the Tucson Meetup Group, or otherwise, while participating in the Group Event, or while in, on or upon the premises where the Group Event is located, while in transit to or from the premises where the Group Event is taking place, or in any place or places connected to the Group Event. I voluntarily elect to participate in this Group Event.
I hereby agree to indemnify, save and hold harmless the Tucson Meetup Group from any loss, liability, damage or costs they may incur due to my participation in the Group Event, where the negligence is caused by me or by the negligence of the Tucson Meetup Group. It is also my express intent that this Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement shall bind members of my family and spouse, as well as my heirs, assigns, and personal representative.
By clicking the “RSVP” button, I represent that I have read this Waiver, understand it, and voluntarily sign it. I further agree that I am at least eighteen (18) years of age and fully competent. I execute this Waiver for full adequate and complete consideration fully intending to be bound by the same.