addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Twin Cities Atheists Message Board › Meetup details changed: Christmas at Pagoda Dinkytown 2 p.m.

Meetup details changed: Christmas at Pagoda Dinkytown 2 p.m.

A former member
I've updated this Meetup. For more details, see the full listing:
http://www.meetup.com...­
When: December 25, 2009 2:00 PM

Where:
Pagoda Dinkytown
1417 4th St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
612-378-4710

If the changes affect your plans to attend, please take a moment to update your RSVP. (You can RSVP "No" or "Maybe" as well as "Yes".)

You can always get in touch with me through the "Contact Organizer" link on Meetup: http://www.meetup.com...­
Jay J.
user 11048121
Willmar, MN
Post #: 1
Bjorn,

I am confused as to why evolutionary believers such as myself, and or non-believers, etc... would even acknowledge Christmas!? I was surprized when I came across your interesting website (well done I might add) to discover you are planning a Christmas celebration for non-believers. Having the insight that we all share, I believe you may want to "re-think" this celebration as it borders an oxi-moronic philosophy.

Thanks for listening
Jay Jewell
JuliAnne
JuliAnneO
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 69
Christmas is more of a family holiday than a religious one in our society, if you look at what people actually do in their homes as opposed to what they just say. I think it's a great idea to host Christmas for non-believers. Many of us with no family, dead family, sad holiday memories, or crazy religious family are all needing something to do to make it through the emotional family-ness of the Christmas holiday. Belief in a particular superstition doesn't even enter my mind when I think about the Christmas holiday. What does enter my mind, however, is being alone when everyone else is trading presents and food with their respective families, and that no matter which friend or distant relative's house I go to, I feel like a 5th wheel. I think there are many more like me, and the fact that we don't believe in superstitions isolates us even more from the mainstream. A group outing to look forward to is the perfect solution.
A former member
Post #: 1
There is a good article in the latest American Atheist News about this. It explains how the the celebration of the start of winter (which occurred today at 11:47 AM CST) or solstice became a pagan ritual and eventually was adopted by the christian church - after all, even they could not stop folks from reveling, feasting and enjoying themselves during such dark days. Madalyn O'hair advocated that atheists celebrate the solstice as a way to be a part of an almost universal yet not necessarily religious time of celebration and this had been more traditional in the atheist community. The word "Christmas" is literally "A celebration of Christ" and in my mind is antithetical to any non-christian. It is essentially a Pagan holiday with Christian overtones so as an atheist, I am no longer comfortable identifying myself with it. Solstice does seem to me to be more appropriate. I think there a lot of religious artifacts in mainstream culture that are difficult to jettison even if you are at odds with them. I have given up trying not to exclaim "oh my god" for instance. Nearly every alternative has religious taint although "Holy crap" is a pretty humerous. Not only that, I live in the city of Saint Paul and there is not much I am willing to do to change the name.