The land of the Leopard
The jungles of Nagarahole are a year-round attraction to wildlife photographers.
The Leopard's have a paradoxical aura around them with frequent reports about the sub-urban sightings, yet in reality they remain to be one of the most elusive cats of jungle.
What you will see and photograph:
Kabini is the land of leopards and during the monsoon provides an life time opportunity to capture these magnificent and elegant cats with lush green background. The bigger and majestic cousins "Tigers" are not uncommon and they might want to be part of party too.
Other wild animals which we can sight apart from cats are Asiatic wild dog or Dhole, Stripe-Necked Mongoose , Bengal Monitor Lizard, Asiatic Elephants, Kabini area is home to magnificent tuskers.
The birds in the forest can be sighted in close proximity are white-bellied woodpeckers, changeable hawk- and crested serpent-eagles, Indian rollers, kingfishers and dozens of other species.
23 July 2014, Wednesday: Starting from Hyderabad by sleeper coach bus to Mysore reaching Mysore by 8:00 a.m. and get into arranged car to reach Kabini.
24 July 2014, Thursday: After a 2-hour-drive from Mysore we reach Kabini by noon. Check-in. Following a leisurely lunch and a round of introduction and embark on our first safari by 3:30 p.m.
After hopefully an eventful ride, we return to camp at 6:30 p.m. and relax over tea, following which we can have a session to understand wildlife shooting settings and also review pictures. Overnight at Kabini River Lodge.
25 July 2014, Friday: Morning and Afternoon Safaris; Overnight at Kabini River Lodge
An early morning wake-up call and tea will set the tone for the morning safari at 6:30.
Upon our return from the safari at 9:00 a.m., have a hot breakfast and go to our rooms to refresh and rest awhile, meeting again at 1:00 p.m. for lunch.
After lunch, perhaps a brief nap and tea, we reenter the forest at 3:30pm with more hope for cat luck.
After evening safari tea will be served and refresh and join for session and dinner at 7:30 p.m.
26 July, Saturday: Final Safari, Check-out and Dispersal
We embark on the last safari at the usual hour in the morning i.e. 6:30 a.m. And since cat activity is at its peak during the early hours of the day, there is every possibility of the Tour ending on a high note.
After the safari and breakfast we checkout at 11:00 a.m. and traveling to Mysore. We will have time till we board our bus to Hyderabad, we will visit Maharaja Palace at Mysore spend couple of hours to click around palace.
Note: Cameras are not allowed inside the palace, so we restrict ourselves to external architecture and monuments. You can try HDR and Panoramic shots.
Tips and Guidance during spare time on:
- Preparing your camera for wildlife shot(settings)
- How to photograph Animals and Birds
- Never ever ever get down from Safari jeep - It is a cardinal sin with recourse
- Maintaining utmost silence and patience during the trips
- The Guide and Jeep driver are ultimate authority and they full understand the our needs and also ways and rules of the jungle. They make the decisions, we abide by them
- No smoking or drinking or littering the forest.
Things to Bring
1) A good and positive mood
2) Camouflaged or green or olive coloured dress - no bright colors
3) Medicines you need
4) Protective gear for your camera and you to guard against rain and dust
5) Photo Id ( passport, Employee/College Id, Pan card/Election Card/ Driving License) with a xerox copy – compulsory to be shown at the park entrance.
1) Telephoto Lens : Ideally 400 mm and above. Anything lesser would your prerogative and good fortune
2) Wide Angle or Kit-lens (For Landscapes & Mysore Palace)
3) As many spare batteries and cards (few hundreds clicks per trip)
4) Binoculars - If your are contented to watch the sighting
Rs. 18000/- (includes transport from Hyderabad to Kabini and back, food for 25th-27th, Accommodation for 2 nights, 4 safari trips and TCPC Contribution).
Rs. 500/- extra per person for tips for guides and drivers
Name: Rajani Pothineni
ICICI Bank , Habsiguda Branch
A/C. No. [masked]
RTGS/NEFT/IFSC Code ICIC[masked]
RSPV to waiting list. On confirmation of Receipt of payment, will be moved to Going list.
RSPV and payment to be made by 7th July, 2014 positively since tickets and safari needs to be booked.
The names and Govt. ids carried by you will be checked by the park authorities at the time of the safari rides.