Announcing a new Meetup for Twin Cities Rock Climbing Meetup Group!
What: Sunday in Red Wing
When: Sunday, April 18,[masked]:00 AM
Hwy 61 Blvd
Red Wing, MN 55066
Sunday, 4/18 ? 10 am til sundown
Hey there Meetup Climbers,
I, along with some other Meetup regulars, will be going to Red Wing this Sunday for some outdoor climbing. If you are familiar with Red Wing, feel free to stop reading now and RSVP. If you are a new climber, a never-climbed-outside climber or a try/curious climber then please, read on.
Red Wing is a sport lead climbing area. There are no top rope set-ups in Red Wing. For those that don?t lead climb, it is necessary to partner up with a couple of people that do lead. They can then leave a rope hanging from fixed anchors at the top of a route that can be used for top rope climbing.
Red Wing offers a couple of 5.7 climbs, a few 5.8s, a handful of 5.9s and plenty of 5.10 and above routes. The rock at Red Wing is slick, except where the quartzite protrudes and then it is sharp. Compared to Taylor?s Falls, Red Wing is not as good of a place to break into outdoor climbing. It is far more challenging. I don?t say this to discourage anyone, just to set a realistic expectation for someone who has never been there. Red Wing remains my favorite climbing spot and is worth checking out.
As the organizer for this event, here is what I will and won?t do this coming Sunday?
What I WON?T do:
- I will NOT teach anyone to lead climb or lead belay.* If you don?t know how to lead or lead belay, a Red Wing Meetup is not the place to learn. People?s lives and well being are at stake here. Go to the gym, take a lesson and get some practice.
- I will not have harnesses or shoes for you to use. That?s the minimum gear that you need to join in. There will be ropes and other necessary gear around to get you on the wall.
- I will not stay in one place. There are 100+ climbs at Red Wing and they are spread all around the bluff.
What I will do:
- I will introduce myself to you and take you around so that you can meet other climbers from our group. I can also point out people that climb in your range of ablility.
- I will lead climb a route with your rope (if you do not lead but do have a rope) and leave it hanging for you and others to top rope on.
- I will give friendly advice if asked for it.
- I will share my guide book with you so that you know what routes are in your skill level.
- I will set my rope up for others to use (however, I will also wander off and climb other things)
- I will eat a hamburger and drink a beer soon after climbing.
So, there you have it. Red Wing. Sunday. Be there or be somewhere else.
I will not have access to email or Meetup.com after 5 pm on Friday. So, if you need to contact me, call or text[masked]-0956. If you are calling and I don?t know you, I won?t answer. Leave a message and I?ll get back to you. If you are texting, include your name and I?ll get back to you.
If you get to Red Wing and don?t recognize anyone, look for the orange tiger striped blanket. It may be laid out; it may be rolled up and attached to my backpack. Either way, that?s mine and I should be around it somewhere.
*My disclaimer: Our goal with this Meetup group is to organize events for climbers to participate in. We agreed we would discourage any teaching of anchors or leading through Meetup.com. However, what can happen is that you meet someone that you start to climb with, become comfortable with and gain trust in. Then, independently of a Meetup event, you will have someone to learn advanced climbing techniques with. We do encourage that. So, please forgive me for my anti-teaching sentiment in this and future event postings.
Learn more here:http://www.meetup.com/Twin-Cities-Rock-Climbing-Meetup-Group/calendar/13200366/