Alan P.
zzolo
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4
I want to start a thread on what topics people would like to hear discussed or presented on, or things that you may be able to contribute as well. So, put down something you want to learn and something you could teach (we all have something), and try to be specific.
Mike H.
user 31869042
Eden Prairie, MN
Post #: 10
I'm interested in statistical analysis. Visualization is a big part of statistics, so I'm interested in most things re visualization, though the summarizing of and making inferences from data is my primary interest. I am just getting started with R and learning about visualization with R would be a priority interest of mine at this time.

Thanks,
Mike

John H.
user 11414150
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 14
Some ideas:

-- Available tools: I use R at the novice level, have used gnuplot with some regularity, and use TikZ (http://www.texample.n...­) for various illustrations. I'm aware of javascript/D3, JMP, and other tidbits but would love to know what tools others are using.

-- Visualization schemes: what do you use to visualize what? An overview of types (boxplots, line graphs, bubble plots, relationship diagrams, etc.). I follow FlowingData and Junk Plots blogs, so I see suggestions of good and bad ways to represent data clearly, but would be interested in those who have studied this more explicitly.

-- Walkthroughs: get some data, walk through how to analyze it and various ways to visualize.

-- Data exploration ideas: know of any big and rich data sets that can be poked and prodded? What about interesting self-quantification ideas like time/habit tracking that makes for neat later visualization? Financial tracking in novel ways? Sometimes I see visualized data and think, "Why didn't I think of that?" I'd like to have a bigger hopper of data resource ideas for future projects. Perhaps just sharing about things we've done would be helpful?

That's what I'm coming up with at the moment...

John