May 5, 2013
LEARN MORE AND GET IN SHAPE
running ,, walking ,, diving ,, swimming,, workout
No answer yet
I just started this kind of sport ,, Im looking for more tips and techniques
Welcome to UAE Trekkers FZE
UAE Trekkers has been the most active outdoor hiking group in both Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Al Ain, since 2011. Our philosophy is to get to the mountains to hike, canyon, climb, cave, and explore as much as we can on the weekends and holidays, for a safe and enjoyable and challenging day in the mountains.
We are exclusively a mountains based trekking group, though we do offer similar adventures such as climbing, caving, canyoning, and mountaineering.
We are a community oriented and inclusive group. We offer events for families as well as people from all nationalities, cultures, and occupations. However, we are very clear, and strict about the requirements for each hike. Each hike varies in difficulty and is indicated as such in the description.
Safety is our first priority. Though of course you will be asked to sign a liability waiver at the beginning of each hike with the understanding that you are, ultimately, taking responsibility for yourself, you will feel very quickly when hiking with us how we operate.
Here are our simple but important rules: Know the weather, know the terrain, and know your group.
Weather: Weather is always a serious consideration and sometimes does impact our plan. The only events we offer in summer are in Oman at Jabal Shams, which is a comfortable temperature even in summer because its at 2000-3000m, or night hikes with water based activities. (Wadi Bih) We don't offer any hikes during the day from mid May - October. Even during the other 7 months, the weather is unstable and sandstorms, hurricanes, rain, thunderstorms are a very real risk. Events may need to be rescheduled based on the forecast, but even if the forecast is clear, there will still need to be an eye on the sky and the understanding that the plan may need to change.
1. Know the trail. We never, ever take a group on a trail that we do not know very, very well. The leader (s) will use GPS devices hikes, but will not ever depend on them for the simple reason that everyone should be able to navigate easily, using the topography, with cones/markers, in the unlikely event that they get away from the group. There are only a few hikes that we are NOT on established, marked trails, that are approved as Hiking Trails by the Oman Ministry of Tourism. But, we do go on unmarked trails on occasion, and these are indicated in the Event Descriptions.
2. Get the correct gear. We require everyone to have proper hiking shoes, not trainers or sneakers, and a proper backpack with waist straps. We provide it for you if you don't have it. But, you're not hiking without it.
3. Pre-Hike safety briefings and gear checks. Each hike begins with a 15 minute briefing that covers all of the essentials, as well recommending the water intake. Be prepared. Your backpack will be checked to make sure you have the correct amount of water which is normally a minimum of 6 liters, anywhere we go. If you can't handle carrying the water, you can't handle the hike.
3. Group CheckPoints. We don't stay in a tight groups with everyone touching each other. Everyone hikes at a different pace and its no fun for everyone to be required to stay at paces that are either too fast, OR too slow. We do use a 1/1 buddy system, a group connected by walkie talkies, and a checkpoint system, where we regroup every 30 minutes. You are required to stay with the leader that has the walkie. We etablish check points every 30 minutes where the group waits for everyone to catch up.
4. Communication: We take 2 satellite phones. Fully charged, fully loaded. One for the front and one for the back of the group. Walkies are for communication between the group leaders.
All of our events are fee -based for a simple reason - when you are asked to pay for something, you take it seriously. People are more likely to read the entire event description before deciding if a hike is really right for them, as well as make the effort to come prepared if they have to pay for it.
UAE Trekkers FZE is a fully licensed and legal company in UAE. We are in fact the only outdoor activity group to have policies in place that make each and every event clear, safe, fair, and legal for everyone. This includes a fair and clear refund policy for all of our events.
Fitness on all of our events is critical. We will offer beginner hikes, but even for these, you do need to be participating in regular fitness activities. But if you are the type of person that enjoys being outside, chances are indoor fitness classes bore you to tears. We offer training that is tailored to the activities that we do in the mountains. All of our training is listed on the meetup site UAE Trekker Training.
Gear is a big issue for many people that have just moved to UAE. To give people such as new arrivals and new to the outdoors sorts a chance to get out into the wilderness of Oman and UAE without having to spend a fortune on camping gear, UAE Trekkers has a good supply of tents, sleeping bags, camping mats, and cookout kit that we loan on a sign up first come first serve basis.
There are reasons why we have been and continue to be successful, and many of these are the 3,000+ very interesting, active, sporty and diverse people that are a part of the group.
When you join you may think that you're just up for the easy stuff, you will be surprised how easy it is to get hooked into the sport of trekking and mountaineering, especially in this part of the world, when so many great opportunities are literally a short plane ride away.
We're not travel agents and we're not professional mountain guides. But we do have the experience of having done every trip that we offer which has given us the chance to refine it so that its an organized and enjoyable experience for everyone.
Whether you wish to take the opportunity to pursue a goal of climbing mountains or just disconnect from civilization, you will have the experience of a lifetime with us.
By joining UAE Trekkers, you have agreed to accept personal responsibility on any event organized by us, as indicated here:
By joining this group, you agree to take personal responsibility for all of the risks associated with hiking in the mountains, which could include various injuries such as those resulting from falls, dehydration, muscle pulls or sprains, broken bones or head injuries.
Through participating in a hike or event organized by UAE Trekkers, you are ultimately accept that you have personal responsibility for the activities you decide to engage in and understand that any injuries, sustained as a result of your participation in such events are solely at your own risk and your own responsibility.
You agree to take every precaution to accept the recommendations for proper equipment required before you attend a hike, as well as accepting the recommendations for water consumption and other pertinent issues.
You also agree to accept advice of more experienced hikers whose goal is to ensure your safety as well as the safety of the group.
So welcome to the group and hope to see you on a mountain soon!