addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

UX Book Club Atlanta Message Board › UX Book Club - April's meetup

UX Book Club - April's meetup

Priti
user 6237491
Atlanta, GA
Have you cast your vote on which book you want to read for our April Meetup? Here's the link to the poll­. Votes are currently tied between "The Design of Everyday Things" and "The Back of the Napkin". I'll be closing this poll 2.28.13 11PM EST, so we have enough time to read it by April.

For the first meetup we will meet on Sun Apr 7th. I will schedule the following meetups to occur during the week in the perimeter area (by popular vote on this poll) probably on Tuesday evenings. If we have equal interest from "Outside the Perimeter" group, we can alternative meetings between ITP and OTP.

We are still hunting for a location for these meetups. If you have any suggestions or know of a place we could use for about 2 hours that could accomodate 10-12 people (to start with), let us know.

The poll for May's book is up too. If you wish to provide more information about yourself, you can do so here­.

Have a great week ahead and keep voting!

- Priti

http://twitter.com/uxbooksatl­
Adam C.
AdamChurvis
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 4
I voted "None of these" because of these reasons:

1. Regarding the books not having to do with usability testing, there is a much better book available: http://www.amazon.com...­

2. Regarding the book on usability testing, this is a very personal topic, in that it is often controlled by the tools and facilities available. Also, these books are too often written from the point of view of people who are attempting to sell to the widest possible audience, i.e., those who are not well equipped for UX testing, and thus tend to be rather rudimentary. If this is the kind of thing you're looking for, a better choice might be Krug's Rocket Surgery Made Easy.
Priti
user 6237491
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 3
Hi Adam

Right now I'm just trying to get a feel for which books our group would like to read, so during the voting process I try to include books that fall into variety of UX genres - general UX, ux design specific, usability testing related, etc.

Appreciate your input. I've added your recommended books to our "to-read" list, so they will definitely be part of the rotation - hopefully sooner rather than later. See you at the meetups.

Happy Reading!
- Priti
Priti
user 6237491
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 4
All the votes are in and we will be reading and discussing "Usable Usability: Simple Steps for Making Stuff Better" by Eric Reiss in April. Visit the http://usableusabilit...­ for more info about the book.

See you all at the meeting!
Adam C.
AdamChurvis
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 5
Usable Usability has a lot of "Other Books You Might Like" callouts throughout the book. These might be another good source for ideas for future books for the club. What do you think?
Priti
user 6237491
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 5
Thanks for the suggestion Adam! I'll take note of them and it to the "to-read" pile so members can vote on them as we go along.
Priti
user 6237491
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 6
Usable Usability's publisher Wiley are giving us 40% off of Usable Usability (print only) list price at wiley.com when you use the promo code UXWD1. Here's the link - http://www.wiley.com/...­

Original List price is $39.99 so after the discount it comes to around $23.99 + $6 shipping to receive the book within 7-10 business days. It may be too late to take this offer and read the book for our April discussion, I but thought I would share this discount for UX Book Club that is being offered for those that check this post in the future.
Priti
user 6237491
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 7
For this meetup, what do you think of meeting at Alon's Bakery(Dunwoody), White Windmill(Buford) or Café Intermezzo(Dunwoody)? We are unable to reserve a place with a conference room type seating for this first meeting.
A former member
Post #: 6
For this meetup, what do you think of meeting at Alon's Bakery(Dunwoody), White Windmill(Buford) or Café Intermezzo(Dunwoody)? We are unable to reserve a place with a conference room type seating for this first meeting.

Either Dunwoody location works
Priti
user 6237491
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 8
Member asked:
Are we ideally supposed to have read the whole book before coming to the meeting on April 7th? Part way through? Not yet started?

Our Response:
The more content that is read the more there is to discuss and that increases the quality of the discussion for everyone. However, I realize that sometimes the whole book can't be read due to time constraints, so I would pick at least 2 chapters in each of the Parts (Ease of Use & Elegance of Clarity). Next time, I'll pick particular chapters as minimum reading. So even those that can't finish the book in time can be part of the discussion. If most of you feel otherwise, you can vote on this poll here­ to provide your opinion.