addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

User Experience Professionals Association of Los Angeles Message Board › Experience using a recruiter for UX jobs?

Experience using a recruiter for UX jobs?

A former member
Post #: 21
Hi all -

Quick request for your experiences with recruiters - good or bad.

The project I'm on is losing funding at the end of June, so it's time to start job hunting, and I'm thinking of using a recruiter or staffing company to help me with my job search. I have not used a recruiter in the past, so any tips or advice for working with a recruiter will be much appreciated. I'm especially interested in actual personal reviews from local people who have had success.

My background is in IA and UX (I'm NOT a unicorn!) with a BA in English and an MLIS, and I've been working in the Higher Ed world for the past 5 years.

Thanks in advance,
Kristina Batiste
Steve B.
user 5907946
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Kristina,
Being a recruiter I believe you will experience good and bad ones. The magic of being a good recruiter is in understanding your clients needs.
If you hire a recruiter keep in mind these things-
1. Does the recruiter understand YOU?
2. Does the recruiter understand your business and how to best represent you?
3. Does the recruiter understand the role you are hiring for and why it's important?
4. Does this recruiter understand your culture and do you feel this person can build a working team as an extension of yourself?
5. Does the recruiter simply post your jobs and react to the traffic or aggressively recruit? Some do both. Passive candidates are traditionally your best and they aren't on the job boards. On occasion a great candidate will surface through a job board but in most cases the best of the best are always working.
When it comes to UX I have found many hiring managers in SoCal don't really know what User Experience is.. Most think it's a web designer or a semi technical Product Manager. I have also found many in the UX who claim to be UX Designer don't really understand this as well. I have done placements in the Bay Area and have found this completely different but I am excited to see this field getting it's fair due.
Good luck in your search.

Steve Brown
Director-Executive Recruiter
BridgeGate
949-870-4935 Direct Line
949-553-9200 Ext. 224
760-877-3135 Cell
steveb@bridgegate.com
Board Member of www.tcvn.org
www.linkedin.com/in/stevembrown/

Steve B.
user 5907946
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
Kristina,
Being a recruiter I believe you will experience good and bad ones. The magic of being a good recruiter is in understanding your clients needs.
If you hire a recruiter keep in mind these things-
1. Does the recruiter understand YOU?
2. Does the recruiter understand your business and how to best represent you?
3. Does the recruiter understand the role you are hiring for and why it's important?
4. Does this recruiter understand your culture and do you feel this person can build a working team as an extension of yourself?
5. Does the recruiter simply post your jobs and react to the traffic or aggressively recruit? Some do both. Passive candidates are traditionally your best and they aren't on the job boards. On occasion a great candidate will surface through a job board but in most cases the best of the best are always working.
When it comes to UX I have found many hiring managers in SoCal don't really know what User Experience is.. Most think it's a web designer or a semi technical Product Manager. I have also found many in the UX who claim to be UX Designer don't really understand this as well. I have done placements in the Bay Area and have found this completely different but I am excited to see this field getting it's fair due.
Good luck in your search.

Steve Brown
Director-Executive Recruiter
BridgeGate
949-870-4935 Direct Line
949-553-9200 Ext. 224
760-877-3135 Cell
steveb@bridgegate.com
Board Member of www.tcvn.org
www.linkedin.com/in/stevembrown/