User Experience Professionals Association of Los Angeles Message Board › Announcing World IA Day in LA || Leadership Opportunity
Los Angeles, CA
2014 World IA Day: 21 cities, 12 countries, 6 continents.
I am thrilled to announce that Los Angeles was selected as one of the 21 cities around the globe to host World IA Day 2014 on February 15. That's right, it's the day after Valentines so extend the L<3VE to Information Architecture.
Here's your chance to let your Leadership skills shine. Simply fill out the Volunteer Google Form and for a detailed description of volunteer roles, see below.
Event registration is coming soon. http://2014.worldiaday.org
Questions? Please contact me directly with any questions Lara Fedoroff, UX-radio.com
World IA Day is about bringing the information architecture community together. We're fostering links within the local communities and on a global scale. We're sharing information, ideas, and research. And we're doing it through unconventional, exciting, and engaging IA events this February.
On February 15, 2014 you can learn from world-class IA minds, network with your peers, showcase new ideas, and attend events tailored specifically to your community. We hope you'll join us at an event near you!
This 3rd annual World IA Day is run entirely by volunteers and funded entirely by gracious sponsors.
Sponsor Relations – Your Name Here
We are grateful to our sponsors for their investment in WIAD. This role will manage all sponsor relations including:
• Contacting and following-up with potential sponsors
• Sending contract and invoices
• Collecting money
• Collecting sponsors giveaways to participants (or raffle off to participants)
• Handling the logistics of tables at the event if sponsors would like to have a table
• Thank you notes
Publicity Director – Your Name Here
Getting the word out about WIAD is critical to our local community.
• Social media management – primarily Twitter and Facebook
• Emails to email list if applicable
Speaker Concierge – Your Name Here
Our speakers provide rich content and we want to provide an outstanding experience for them. This role requires empathy and organization.
• Responsible for sending email updates for due dates (presentation outline, draft and final)
• Helping speakers with anything they need the day of the event
Setup/Breakdown Crew – Your Name Here
This organized and efficient crew helps make sure all the T’s are crossed and I’s are dotted to have everything in place to kick-off and close the event.
• Set up and breakdown tables, chairs, signage, etc.
• Help with Food and Beverage
• Help with AV
Welcome Team – Your Name Here
This team is critical and highly valued as it will be the first team of volunteers to greet attendees
• Provide friendly greeting to attendees
• Answer questions
• Communicate instructions to attendees about the day’s schedule, venue general session/restrooms, nametags, sponsors, etc.
Visual Designer – Your Name Here
• Complimenting the WIAD ‘style guide’ to design event items like:
o Event Agenda
o And more
Venue Director – Your Name Here
We may already have a venue so the main focus here will be logistics and coordination. A good sense of event flow, interior layout, and a calm amongst chaos is encouraged for this role.
• Finding a venue
• Making sure the venue is set up according to the needs of the event
• Figuring out where refreshments should be ordered from, if applicable
• Deciding where a reception should be held after the event, if applicable
A/V Director – Your Name Here
This role is vital since we are connecting globally to World IA Day.
• Work with venue coordinator to make sure all the A/V needs of the event are met
• Livestream the event
• More detailed A/V information to come
Mentorship Booth – Your Name Here
This is like the “Dr. is In” booth from Charlie Brown. It’s a fun way to
Event Day Photographer – Your Name Here
Are you a savvy snapper? Please consider donating you time to capture this event!
• Photograph speakers and attendees
Did we miss anything? Please let us know! Email me.
Lead Coordinator – Lara Fedoroff
• Delegating all the necessary tasks
• Setting the planning agenda
• Answering the emails from the website
• Recruiting speakers
• Managing registration
Advisors – Chris Chandler & Lynn Boyden
• Provide strategic direction for theme, suggesting speakers and content and helping select event team
• Works with Lead Coordinator to review speaker outlines and content if needed