Houston Unity Group Message Board › November 16th Meeting Agenda Suggestions

November 16th Meeting Agenda Suggestions

Robert B.
user 4548566
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 15
Please post your ideas or interests here. If we don't get to them in November, I'll keep them on a list for future dates.
Tony B.
user 13174422
Houston, TX
Post #: 1
Hi, glad to see this group.

I was reading about how the New York Unity group posted the code on how to activate the "display out" command for the ipad connection port in order to demo their app's on a video projector.

Why don't we do a lesson on that so that the users can show off their stuff.

-Tony
Brandon C.
user 13012027
Houston, TX
Post #: 3
As far as technical demos I could discuss the benefits of post processing 3Dmodels and give a demo of how to do that. Post processing allows you to develop even faster in unity by automating tedious processes. like automating attaching door scripts to doors and attaching various components to different parts of your model. You can even replace parts of a model with other models or prefabs. meaning I could make about 20-30 individual props and then make a main scene model and place cubes where i want certain props and my post-process script can identify the different cubes and replace them with the proper 3d models.

Anyways, Just something I thought might be useful ... and once you see the script you will realize how easy it realy is and probably end up using it on most of youor projects.

EDIT: Things I would cover would be of intrest to 3D modelers, project managers / technical leads, and coders. I would discuss how to setup workflows between groups that currently does not exist in any form.
A former member
Post #: 22
One area we need to hear lots of ideas on is marketing our applications. It's one thing to create a nice game, or simulation, but it is the business end that will get us somewhere.
Daniel W.
danielwu3
Houston, TX
Post #: 3
I agree that game marketing would be a relevant topic too. However, I may be biased since I work in marketing but not in game marketing :)

One area we need to hear lots of ideas on is marketing our applications. It's one thing to create a nice game, or simulation, but it is the business end that will get us somewhere.

Robert B.
user 4548566
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 16
I'm very interested in this topic Brandon. I can't tell you how much time I spend setting up models each time I pull a new one into a scene. Having a scripted procedure would certainly benefit my workflow.
Robert B.
user 4548566
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 17
One area we need to hear lots of ideas on is marketing ...

This is definitely a challenging area. I'm certain we will spend some time on this topic. However, I think the discussions will be quite surprising... The Galactic Zombie postmortem will be an excellent introduction for this ongoing discussion.
Brandon C.
user 13012027
Houston, TX
Post #: 4
So just an FYI I was working on a post-process script tutorial and found a way to import things like cameras, lights, and event curves or paths. Anyways, I have some good content there.

Also, I agree that it would be nice to have a long discussion on marketing. I am curious to know more about how people make money with these free online flash games.
terry
whole_bit
Katy, TX
Post #: 20
Ooops! posted a marketing comment in the wrong discussion, oh well! As for the next meeting I think everyone should get a chance to speak again in some way, if they wish, as opposed to a bottleneck in the monthly flow.

On teh otherhand, I am super interested in what Brandon has to say concerning multi-processing of 3D models, because I am a modeler as well as animator(with a love of proceduralism) and not much of a coder! :)

With that said, haven't had much chance to do a lot of Unity, as my PC seems to have died for the moment. (fingers uncrossed ;P) and I have been using a mini-MAC with a lower OS 10 and non Intel processor.

Nevertheless, in general concerning lectures for clarity sake to talk about different AI classes each month like say, attack-kill, run-jump, coffee-makeout, would work for me, if not everybody involved. Doing this might ensure the buildup of content amongst group members month to month, and maybe even a little co-lab! Teh!~
Robert B.
user 4548566
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 20
working on a post-process script tutorial...

Saw a really cool presentation today on both editor scripting and post process scripting. Needless to say. I will be adding this to my asset pipeline workflow. We definitely need to share this at an up and coming meetup.