A former member
Post #: 1
Hi! I'd really love to learn how to sew. Any recommendations on what machine to buy? Also, anyone up for giving a sewing lesson. I learn best one on one as oppose to books or online videos. I can teach a lil' about graphic design (creative suite) or help out with cleaning/organizing/decluttering or shoveling snow :)
A former member
i would love to learn to sew too!!!!
A former member
I sew, a lot. And I'm usually pretty good at explaining things. However, I'm not sure I'd be a good sewing teacher. It's one of those things that I learned too young, so I forget which parts aren't obvious. And I have no idea what machine to get,I'm still sewing on my grandmother's ancient one. But I like people, and I like helping people sew, so we can talk if you don't end up with a better option. :) And if not, I'm happy to be sewing company, and/or to answer random panicked questions when something isn't making sense. Up side: I have a sewing room! Down side: I'm in Newton, and have small children.

Jen Ender (jkender at gmail, I check my email much more reliably than message boards.)
A former member
Post #: 2
I take sewing classes at Laura's Sewing School in Arlington. The machine that students who don't bring their own machine use is this:

http://www.sears.com:...­

Several students have bought this machine are are quite happy with it.

-Emy
Iris W.
HerbIris
Wenham, MA
Post #: 59
Hi, I sew, and I'm a good teacher. I've been sewing forever, but am good at going back to beginner's mind. I'd be happy to give lessons. I am in Wenham, on the North Shore, though easily accessible by train (the station is an easy walk).

I would also be happy to do something Cambridge. I can get access to the community room at Harvest Market in Central Square if people wanted to do a group.

I would love to swap for services, esp. if someone is willing to come to my place. In desperate need of some help with cleaning and organizing.

Let me know what your (whoever reads this) interest is.
A former member
Post #: 28
I'm a fashion student so I sew and make patterns and would love to learn CS.

Do you have specific things you want to learn?

As for a machine, it really depends what you want to do. Light crafts, embroidery, quilting, etc. Janome, Brother, and Pfaff make a decent starter machine but I'd highly recommend you go and visit a dealer of some sort. They can answer your questions and also, if you have problems with your machine, they can help you with them. You can also 'test drive' a machine while there. They can show you how to thread it, fill a bobbin, tell you about the quality of certain machines, etc.

Off the top I can think of Anne's Fabrics in Canton, MA and Marie's Sewing Center in Woburn. Both are very friendly and helpful when I've gone in.

A former member
@ Jen Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, I don't have a car, so it does make traveling a lil' tough. But I'll keep your contact info handy when I have questions

@ Emy I saw info about that school when I was doing searches online. Seems like a fun place. Funds are a lil' low, but if it picks up I might try looking into it again.

@ Iris The community room at Harvest Market sounds like a great idea. I'd be interested too if we get enough people interested. I'm a lil' new to MA, so Wenham seems far on a train -- almost 2 hrs? If someone is willing to drive instead, I'm happy to help clean and organize!

@ Kieran Maybe we can meet up if you don't live too far away from Porter Square. I'd like to sew clothes, curtains, bedding, crafts etc. I've been meaning to check out the sewing store in Davis -- has anyone been there before? I've been also trying to check out Craigslist, but I don't know enough to pick out one that one break down on me. Ideally, I'd love a great quality machine that'll last. As for learning CS, I could give you the basic breakdown of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. I know more about InDesign then the other two, but the basics should get you comfortable enough to make a portfolio of your work, edit a few photos and make a logo. You can email me at iambonnibel at yahoo
Iris W.
HerbIris
Wenham, MA
Post #: 60
@Keiran, do you go to the School of Fashion Design on Newbury St.? I taught there years ago.

@Bonnibel, we can set up a meetup at Harvest and take it from there for the sewing. As far as where I live, I could give you a ride one way or the other and you'd only have to take the train one way. Let me know if that's at all doable.
A former member
thanks for all the info. maybe i will check out the school in arlington. i have a car and i dont want to drive to wenham! sorry!!!! i am out of town til the 16th, but will keep posted this way. thanks all!!!
Iris W.
HerbIris
Wenham, MA
Post #: 61
If anyone is interested in coming to Harvest Coop Market in Central Sq., Cambridge, I can teach a class there. Let me know.