A former member
Post #: 1
Hi everyone. I'm really excited that there is so much interest in this group!

What kinds of things are you guys interested in doing/learning about? Are there any teachers/practitioners that you'd like to invite to lead workshops or give talks? Farms, gardens, other cool places you'd like to take a field trip to?

Very excited to meet all of you.

A former member
Hi there!

I'm really interested in growing and making your own food! I've been wanting to get into fermentation recently -- making kombucha, kefir is stuff I've wanted to do (and pickling is something I've started.)

I'm really excited by making yogurt and cheese, and I've been debating getting raw milk from one of the dairy clubs in the suburbs.

Here's a question I've got: I'm helping start a dumpster diving collective, and I wonder if there would be any interest in people in this meetup in joining it. Right now, the amazing-quality produce and bread that high-quality stores throw out has how I've been able to happily afford high quality nutrition and food. We're trying to grow a system to make this process effecient; would people in this group be interested in such a collective? Definitely email me if so, mpnagle at gmail dot com, as we're just setting it up this month.

Thanks!
A former member
Hi All,
I've been traveling, but am back home and was able to read through the emails that went around earlier in the group's existence. I thought I could point people toward the existing resources in Boston, so you're not re-inventing the wheel.

DIO (Do It Ourselves) Skillshare is a group of educators and DIYers who frequently meet for urban survival skills (rainwater harvesting, sprouting, small-space gardening, DIO plumbing). They are not web-heavy folks, but here is their site and contact info http://www.dioskillsh...­

Boston Skillshare is a collective of anyone wanting to share their passions and useful information. http://www.bostonskil...­. Their annual event is not to be believed for it's usefulness.

Local Harvest is a national database of farmers markets, CSAs, co-ops and more. You can also find folks who are selling their farm products online and for local pickup (raw milk, eggs, etc.).

Haymarket is not a farmers market. Most of that produce is imported or leftover, scary stuff that groceries have rejected.

Please feel free to use www.HOMEGROWN.org as a resource for questions, recipes, how-tos and a platform to show off. We are a project of the national nonprofit Farm Aid and we are a community of folks who are expert in cheesemaking, brewing, canning, fermenting, greywatering, critter-controlling and, yes, urban gardening. There is also a Boston group there with other local resources and blogs.
Looking forward to meeting many of you soon!
Cornelia
HOMEGROWN Shepherdess
http://www.HOMEGROWN....­