addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Denver's Urban Survival Network Message Board Skills, Projects, Questions, Stories › What's your get home plan?

What's your get home plan?

Mark D.
user 7694413
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
I have recently put a lot of thought into how I would get home when SHTF. My work is 15.6 miles from my home walking and I know there are many different routes I could take, some through very shady neighborhoods, and I have been trying to plan the best ways to go and get a few dry runs under my belt. I still remember the story my father told me about 9-11 when he had to walk miles across Manhattan and then buy a bike to make it to Long Island. I just don't want to be caught with my pants down or get home exhausted when I might have a lot of work ahead of me. Any thoughts?
Catherine
user 7217766
Denver, CO
Post #: 30
I have recently put a lot of thought into how I would get home when SHTF. My work is 15.6 miles from my home walking and I know there are many different routes I could take, some through very shady neighborhoods, and I have been trying to plan the best ways to go and get a few dry runs under my belt. I still remember the story my father told me about 9-11 when he had to walk miles across Manhattan and then buy a bike to make it to Long Island. I just don't want to be caught with my pants down or get home exhausted when I might have a lot of work ahead of me. Any thoughts?

I used to keep a very serviceable pair of old hiking shoes, wool cap & gloves, compass, etc. in the car. It's out right now because I need to restock it. I also keep an empty 5 gallon water jug & filter system and tent in the trunk at all times just in case I'm out someplace exotic and need to "survive" someplace - I'll always have a vessel for water and some shelter. Other than that, I always take note of the expected weather conditions, I dress appropriately (with backup clothing), and I carry a topo map in the car for reference should I need to strike off cross-country or something. Other than that, all I can think of is to walk regularly (take the dog out to all sorts of new places) in any of the places you expect you might have to traverse on your way home. Having a "local" community that recognizes you or at least does not feel threatened by your presence on occasion is a good planning tactic.