Denver's Urban Survival Network Message Board Skills, Projects, Questions, Stories › Communications Options

Communications Options

Curtis (.
user 3609267
Castle Rock, CO
Post #: 329
Ok, so I am new to most of this but I have a few questions. I know how important communications is in times of disaster so I am laying out a plan. I have started by putting CB Radios in my 4x4 vehicles as I use that when I go out wheeling anyway. I also have small handheld radios that I believe are FRS bandwidth (walkie-talkies). Now I am looking to get a 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Emergency Crank Radio as more of a portable base camp radio. It also handles AM/FM and my CB has NOAA on it.

I don't really understand GMRS radio differences but I see that anyone can get a license if you just pay the $85 fee with no test required. Can someone help me understand where it fits between CB and FRS?

We have more traditional IP communications for the home phone, cell phones for all home members (multiple carriers) if the cellular and internet is available

Any info and input and info is appreciated.
A former member
Post #: 4
Very good start, I dusted off my original CB's last year, put them in both trucks, and put the old Navaho base station in the garage. At least all run on 12v and 110.
I dont know anything about the gmrs, but will be following any recommendations closely.
Dont forget the old SSB's, thier extra power and range plus dual purpose CB makes them versatile, and they are pretty cheap.
Blake
watrfrnt
Topeka, KS
Post #: 4
GMRS radio differences but I see that anyone can get a license if you just pay the $85 fee with no test required. Can someone help me understand where it fits between CB and FRS?
Any info and input and info is appreciated.

I'm not really familiar with GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) but my basic understanding is that it is more for local use like CB but may be less crowded.

My suggestion is to get an amateur radio license and be able to communicate over a much larger area (worldwide depending on conditions) as well as get involved in emergency and disaster preparedness training. The basic license is very easy to get and classes are held often. The license and training costs nothing. The exam is a very nominal $15.00.

Let me know if you'd like more information about amateur radio.

Blake
KD0SQX