I think it was mentioned at the last meeting (intro to prepping) about having a place to catalogue websites, books, references, etc. So I thought I would get a websites discussion going. I thought if we kept this one to websites, we could start a separate one for books, etc, but whatever works.
Description: Real Life account of what happened to a guy named Shane and his family during Hurricane Katrina. He gives it a twist by not just telling the story, but trying to help out the readers to be better prepared. I've read a lot of fiction and other accounts, but for someone trying to get started, this read is really good to help get your mind right.
1. SURVIVAL IS NOT A KIT!
2. If you prepare to survive, you will, but survival means breaking even.
3. If you prepare to succeed, you can do much better than survive.
4. The best 'survival kit' is the kit you carry. If you have the greatest kit in the world, and you don't carry it, then it's worthless.
5. Skills and knowledge are more important than stuff.
6. If you're having fun, it's not survival, it's camping out.
7. Anybody who tells you that survival is 90% mental and 10% physical has never actually been in a survival situation. Those numbers can swing wildly...
8. The best way not to get lost is to never leave home in the first place.
9. Lazy people do not prosper.
10. In any survival situation, you should try to keep your friends alive as long as possible. They stay fresh longer that way.
Anyone else have any good sites to recommend?
|A former member||
I have cataloged all my experiences at: