addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Denver's Urban Survival Network Message Board Skills, Projects, Questions, Stories › D.U.S.N. MONTH 1 Homework

D.U.S.N. MONTH 1 Homework

Brian F.
user 9628212
Denver, CO
Post #: 8
Hey Guys,

For the very first homework assignment (Month 1)

I would like you to view the following 5 Wilderness Outfitters Videos and we can discuss them.

What to pack and Carry?­

Wild edibles­
Part 2­

Water Purification­

Fire with ALL WET Materials­

Poor-mans grease lamp­
Brian F.
user 9628212
Denver, CO
Post #: 27
Anyone watch these yet?
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 7
Alright, I finally got those checked out... it may work better if this is a monthly homework assignment ;-)

I am really glad I did though, those video's were really interesting and didn't take long at all to watch!!! I picked up on a few things that may actually save my life one day.

I liked his rule of 3's... "3 min with out air, 3 hours exposed to harsh elements, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food..."

Though I have pretty much everything together now... I put the emphasis on the wrong parts of my kit first... I started collecting extra food to store, then my stove and supplies, then a shelter situation, then water, and I just recently added a lot of extra clothing into my kit. Considering that food is the thing the body can go the longest without, and water is so critical, I would say put the emphasis on the wrong things first. (I still don't have anywhere near enough water stored)

Question though: what was with the rock with the hole in it?

Brian F.
user 9628212
Denver, CO
Post #: 29
Not too sure, it looks like he is using it for the top of a bow drill (fire starter) as the cap to hold the bow in place as you spin it.

See top of the following pic

Jack M
user 10653793
Aurora, CO
Post #: 8
Thanks Brian
Just had a chance to check these out.
He's got some nice little tips there.
The stuff on water purification is very informative
user 12002142
Denver, CO
Post #: 2