addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Denver's Urban Survival Network Message Board Cool Websites, Great Deals, and Fun!!! › Survival / Emergency Supplies Ideas....

Survival / Emergency Supplies Ideas.... Plus: Where to buy all this stuff? Here's some links.

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello all,

This first meet touched on some of the basics supplies that you need.

I like the "Module System" organization style where everything of a certain type, or for a certain use is grouped and bagged together.
This makes it easy to find what your looking for, and keeps everything tidy.
It also allows you to "Keep what you need" if you have to lighten or ditch the pack, or something else bad happens.
It also makes it easy to 'waterproof' the gear, because you can put each module in some type of water-proof container.
Obviously not all "Module" items can be bunched together and stuffed into one container.

Some items should be kept easy to reach, Like water, work gloves, multi-tool, flashlight, and a knife.

Here is a brief list of some ideas and examples of these "Modules" and the items that might be included. Not all items are necessary

- Food
(Food, Utensils, Stove, stove fuel, cooking pot or mess kit)

- Water
(Water, Bottles or other Containers, Filter, Treatment Chemicals, drinking straws... etc)

- Navigation
(Maps, Compass, GPS, backup maps and compass, Maps ,ark locations of possible resources
(Food, drug, convenience, sporting good stores; Fire, Police, Hospitals,farms, friends and relative
houses, etc... )

- Shelter
(Tube Tent or Tarp, Space or Causality Blanket, plastic sheeting or bags, poncho, or even a sleeping
bag/bivy or lightweight tent, Instant Body Warmers)

- Fire
(At least 3 Different ways to start a fire (Matches, Lighter, & Sparking device), tinder, candle...etc)

- Lighting
(Flashlight or Headlamp, 'Glow Sticks' or electronic glow light, Emergency beacon)

- Clothing
(Hat, Extra Clothing, Belt, Winter Hat, winter gloves, Extra Socks, Extra boots, Sunglasses, Rain gear)

- Hygiene
(Toilet Paper, Soap, Small cloth, Wet-Ones Wipes, Field Bath Wipes, Tooth brush, Nail Clippers)

- Tools
(Work Gloves, Hatchet or Large knife, Saw, Multi-Tool, 550 Cord (Paracord), Duct Tape, Sewing &
Gear repair kit, small hand trowel, Folding Shovel (E-Tool), Plastic Zip ties, pliers, ... etc)

- Communications
(AM/FM Radio, with Shortwave and Weather is nice, 2 Way radios: FRS/GMRS Radios ('Walkie-Talkies)
Radio Scanner, Cell Phone, Hand held CB radio, Aviation Band Radios, VHF Band Radios,
extra batteries and chargers for each, alternative charging methods (Cranks, or solar)

- Rescue/Signaling
(Whistle, Glow stick/string signaling device, Signal Mirror, Flares, Reflective Safety Vest, Distress Signal
Banner or flag, air horn)

- First Aid
(I can go on and on about first aid, But don't forget about often over-looked items: extra medication,
Extra Glasses, Sunscreen, Insect Repellent, Lip Balm, blister prevention, OTC meds you take regularly)

- Documentation and Reference
(Survival/Plant/First aid Manuals or Quick Reference guides, Notebook, Pens and Pencils, Sharpie,
Emergency contact list, copies of important documents, list of important info (CC and Bank account
numbers, Birth dates/Family Details, Medications, doctors, Car VIN Numbers, Insurance Info)

And many other things that you might consider.
I no doubt have missed many things.
This is in no way a packing list, or a recomendation list for any specific bag,
These are just some basic ideas of types things that you might want to include in your Pack/BOB/ Emergency Kit.

So where can you get all this stuff?

Online there is allot of great resources.
Here are some links to good places, and a brief description of what they have.

eBay
Has everything, and usually a very good price

Amazon
Has everything, and usually a very good price

SOS Survival Products
Many emergency products, Emergency food and water rations, SAR, CERT, and First Aid Supplies, tools and safety supplies.

Emergency Essentials
Survival Food, Stoves, water filters, and many preparedness items

Survival Super Store and their sister site Basic Living
Emergency rations, and shelf stable food, emergency prep items, and self sustainment supplies

Nitro-Pak
Shelf Stable food, Emergency food rations, Water Filters and Storage, emergency prep supplies

Survivor Mall
Shelf Stable food, Emergency food Rations, Gas Mask and security supplies

Cheaper Than Dirt

Huge selection of products. Military Surplus, Tactical and Shooting Gear, Hunting gear, and much more

Brigade Quartermasters
Military and Tactical Gear. Boots and Military Clothing

Sierra Trading Post
Camping and Outdoor supplies, Fishing, clothing, boots and shoes.

The Sportsmans Guide
Huge selection of outdoor, camping, hunting, military surplus, shooting and survival supplies, and much more

REI
Large selection of Camping, Backpacking, and outdoor gear. Clothing, and boots and shoes.

Campmor­
Large selection of Camping, Backpacking, and outdoor gear. Clothing, and boots and shoes.

Cabela's
Huge selection of outdoor, hunting, camping, and fishing supplies. Clothing, boots and shoes

Oso Grande Knives
Knives, Machetes, Hatchets, Saws, Multi-tools and Compasses

Emergency Medical Products
First aid, EMS, and a medical supplies. Safety and rescue supplies

Chinook Medical Supply
First aid, and medical supplies; geared towards remote/wilderness type settings, and tactical medicine

Rescue Essentials
A Colorado based company First aid, and medical supplies for wilderness/Remote and tactical settings

Remote Medical
Wilderness and remote medical supplies

Minimus
Huge selection of travel sized and single-use items

Also, I run a small business selling Tactical, MOLLE, and Military Gear.
Check out the website: Life and Liberty Gear,
We are retailers of Condor Outdoor , Fox Outdoor Products, Rothco, and Military Outdoor Clothing
We do not stock every item they have, but I can get you anything they sell at a special DUSN Member discounted price.
I hope that you would consider purchasing from us if you are interested.
You can email me through the meetup links for more info.

If other people know good places to purchase things, please post them.
Or, if you find a deal or something goes on sale, please share!!

Thank you all
Travis

David
DavidKamau
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 17
This is great info, and very much the same way I structured my bags. The module system of packing like supplies together makes everything simple to find and easy to inventory.

Also, I checked out your Life and Liberty site, it seems like you have a lot of great stuff and some descent prices!