addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Denver's Urban Survival Network Message Board Skills, Projects, Questions, Stories › What skills do you have or want to have?

What skills do you have or want to have?

A former member
Post #: 4
I thought I'd start a thread to see what sort of skills people have and which ones they'd like to obtain.

Most of my skills come from my own personal interest in the outdoors. I guess I'd consider myself a jack of all trades. But definitely not a master of any. :)

The best skills I'd have to offer would be my knowledge of different gear, especially edged tools. I like to build and make things like fires and shelters. I enjoy fishing, hunting, backpacking and nature in general. I've worked as a hiking, mountain biking and rafting guide so I have experience with leadership, first aid and interpretation.

There are a few skills I feel I need to develop more. Those include foraging, trapping and how to preserve and store food long term. I'd also like to develop more first aid skills.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hello,

I suppose I will be the first to reply.

I am well versed it basic and advanced first aid. Also allot of other assorted tidbits of medical knowledge. Along with that some mild intermediate care. Knowledge of basic Anatomy and Physiology. I also am familiar with Military style TCCC care.

I will admit that I've never had a formal Wilderness first aid class or a TCCC type class, But I am familiar with the "improvised medicine" and extended transport time, and specific injury/ailments associate with Wilderness First Aid, and have read bunches about TCCC.

From the Coffee Shop meet up I can't remember whom, but someone there was a Retired Military Medic, and he no doubt has significantly more knowledge, skills, and experience than myself. So if willing to share his knowledge, that would be cool.

I also have some technical outdoor rock climbing experience (Climbing with harness and rope, up vertical faces) And along with that comes a little bit of rigging experience.
I also have some minor hiking/backpacking experience.

I don't know if this counts as a skill worth sharing, but I have some knowledge in nutrition and the body.

I am also a bit of a gear head, and a knife nut, so I have some knowledge in that.
(I just don't have enough money to buy all the toys I want)

I am lacking or would like to improve on many skills/knowledge.
Fire and shelter making. Obtaining food, (fishing/trapping/hunting/gathering). Navigation, self defense and other combative. Varies other outdoor and urban survival skills. Winter survival. self sustainment and cooking w/staple/longterm food items (Grains, Flour, dehydrated, that sorta thing).
Radio Communications, automobile maintenance, and many others that I may not even know I need.
I also haven't done any 'real' hiking ( >5 miles) or any backpacking in years. So I would really like to get back into that, and try to regain some of the knowledge and experience.

I would love to learn from any anyone willing to share there knowledge/skills/experience with me, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you all
Travis

Edited June 6 - Thought of more skills/knowledge I need.
A former member
Post #: 6
Well, skills?

I'm a better than average shooter, practising, training and competing regularly in different shooting disciplines.
I also reload my own ammunition and cast my own bullets.
I'm a 01 and 03 FFL, and a CHL.

I've got my ARC AED/CPR/FA cert and as I take more shooting classes I find I'm taking more wound classes as well.

I'm an accountant, and a tailor.

More of my energy is devoted to the bug in approach rather than the outdoorsy bug out approach. Not that I don't have a bergen and kit, it's just that it's very very far down on my plan. I have three days of food in my BOB, and a year of food in my BIL. The math supports bugging in.

We bake all our own bread from starter, and I've started to learn canning.

What I would like to improve:
I would like to get a HAM cert.
I would like to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

A former member
Post #: 1
I am really lacking advanced first aid and surgery 101. I would also like a list for an advanced medical kit and some down and dirty instructions on how to use them to save a family member or a vital member of the community.
A former member
Post #: 26
I thought I'd start a thread to see what sort of skills people have and which ones they'd like to obtain.

With my Military background I have most of my skills in weapons and tactical training, some first aid and survival skills (both woodlands and winter). I would love to a refresh my skills in all areas but mainly fishing and bow hunting, with how to hang and keep meat for long periods of time.
A former member
Post #: 4
I'm coming into this with limited knowledge, and no hands-on experience. I definitely want to learn as much as possible, but especially the basics, such as building a fire, and finding shelter and food.
Kyle l.
rhino33
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
i'm afraid i'm pretty new to this type of stuff, but almost all my energy (and extra money) these days is going toward prepping for everything. i'm an engineer, so i'm naturally good at shelter building, site prep and organization. what i'm lacking is hunting and food preservation skills, so i'd love to catch up with anyone willing to teach on those areas.
MtnBear
user 43651062
Conifer, CO
Post #: 5
Skills I can offer:

Improvised weapons and munitions including:
Edged weapons
blunt force weaponry
non-firearm projectile weaponry
archery
basic improvised incendiary devices
some basic chemistry

Self defense martial arts/techniques:
Conflict avoidance
escape & evasion
basic and advanced camouflage
Unarmed combat
Armed combat (non-firearm or projectile)
Armed combat (projectile and firearm)
Black powder firearms
Basic and advanced self-defense techniques

Other non-combat skills:
Orientation & map reading
Basic first-aid
Trauma first-aid
Triage
foraging in the Rocky Mountains (montane biome)
Small & Large game hunting
Bowhunting
primitive fishing
trapping
motorcycling (on and off-road)
photography
shelter location and construction
group dynamics and "group think" theory
water locating and purification
Rope skills/rock climbing/High-angle rescue
basic auto mechanics
metalworking/forging metals
Sugar/Salt/Smoke Food curing
basic, advanced and professional cooking techniques (I was a professional chef for 4 years)

Skills needed:
More advanced first-aid and medical training
HAM and other radio theory and operation
Long-term food storage techniques (Not just buying pre-canned food)
Conventional Ammunition reloading
home canning (I've done some, but need more advice on techniques)
alternative medicine, natural medicinal plants in our area (e.g. homeopathy, acupuncture)
Electronics and electrical theory
Information technology
Engineering

I am also a Jack-of-all-trades type person, I would like to get an opportunity to practice and teach others my skills. I have only mastered a few of the skills listed above, but the rest I have good working practical knowledge and experience with.

However I would also like to learn much,much more!

Japanese proverb- "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day…TEACH a man to fish and feed him for life"