addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Denver's Urban Survival Network Message Board Denver's Urban Survival Network General Discussion › ultimate post apocalyptic rig? post ideas here!

ultimate post apocalyptic rig? post ideas here!

matt m.
user 11825729
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
enduro crawler hybrid jeep wrangler. klr 650 on the back. any reccommendations additions? differences entirely? lots of room for discussion.
Keith R.
user 35663212
Parachute, CO
M1093 Hands Down
A former member
Post #: 12
Bicycle - it won't be effected by "The Carrington Effect" (Wikipedia - 1859 Solar Flare)

A former member
Post #: 2
How about a little walker texas ranger?

http://blogs.cars.com...­
MtnBear
user 43651062
Conifer, CO
Already got mine!
1973 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser
Extra distributor, condenser, coil, plugs and voltage regulator buried on my property in a steel ammo-can (Faradays' cage insulated interior).
Also have an old Diesel engine for it to swap out for bio-diesel. Plus other spare parts.
Sometimes old technology is better than the latest-and greatest!
Plus the mountain bicycle option!
The old Beast! Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser!

MtnBear
user 43651062
Conifer, CO
Post #: 2
Bicycle - it won't be effected by "The Carrington Effect" (Wikipedia - 1859 Solar Flare)

A bicycle is the best option! You're right!
However after speaking at great length with an astrophysicist friend of mine, he made it EXTREMELY clear that an event like the 1859 solar flare is very unlikely (less than a 15% chance in the next 10 tears), and that our planet's own magnetosphere and Ionosphere would go a great way toward lessening and re-directing the ensuing EMP (electromagnetic pulse), only causing minor to moderate damage to our infrastructure. There will probably be some disruptions in electronic and electrical devices, however we would have to receive a blast at least equal to or larger than the 1859 solar flare eruption, and be DIRECTLY facing the sun and CME (coronal mass-ejection) path. If it were to only hit the Earth at an angle, we would be less effected. However it would most likely completely destroy MOST satellites in orbit (not the military and major communications ones, they're "Hardened" and would be powered off during such an event), which would greatly disrupt most satellite communications (oh, damn Dish TV won't work…I don't watch TV anyway). He did mention that the sun IS entering into what he calls a "Solar active" period for the next 1-3 years, 5 maximum, but nowhere on the magnitude that could generate such a large CME.
He and I both believe that there is a much more immediate threat from a EMP from thermonuclear weapons if detonated within our atmosphere. A specially designed nuclear detonation above the USA at an altitude of 300 miles would be extremely bad and essentially wipe out electrical components for the majority of N. America. This is a much more probable event, and since the EMP is generated inside our atmosphere our Ionosphere and magnetosphere will not be there to protect us.
This does not mean that we need to completely discount it…it may happen, but the chances of it happening are very low. In the meantime…keep on prepping…for everything and anything!
Take care!
MtnBear
user 43651062
Conifer, CO
Post #: 3
enduro crawler hybrid jeep wrangler. klr 650 on the back. any reccommendations additions? differences entirely? lots of room for discussion.

For the klr 650, there is a company in S. California that is making diesel engines for the U.S. Marine corps for the KLR…and it gets about 100 miles to the gallon! Not yet available for the general public…but hopefully soon!
See: Hayes Diesel Technology
A former member
Post #: 3
By post apocalyptic rig, I assume you mean something to get around in when you are at your destination, not in the process of a bugout. A bugout vehicle is a different animal than a 'patrol' vehicle. For a bugout vehicle, you will likely need to carry some serious weight, those 50 cal boxes weigh about 50 pounds each when filled with .223 or 7.62. , plus you have all your other stuff. A ton or two would be typical. My choice there would be the deuce and a half just to haul, winch , and push.
Once in my 'final' location, something light, quiet, and great mileage would be needed, maybe a trail bike of some type, or a horse.
Curtis
Ingalls-CO
Elizabeth, CO
Post #: 327

For the klr 650, there is a company in S. California that is making diesel engines for the U.S. Marine corps for the KLR…and it gets about 100 miles to the gallon! Not yet available for the general public…but hopefully soon!
See: Hayes Diesel Technology

I saw this the other day and was amazed this guy made his own motorcycle and it is a diesel, all hand built. Photo was taken in Castle Rock.

[IMG]http://i969.photobuck...­[/IMG]
A former member
My 4Runner with 3" lift, 33" tires, ARB bumper, and winch...until I run out of gas :(