This is a fine place to launch but mid-day Saturday, if the weather is hot, it can be jam-packed with sunbathers. If my earlier event ends at the north end, I'll be 'way early. That wouldn't be a bad strategy for others, too, to find a parking spot and a path through the crowd. If it's even slightly cool or cloudy, no problem.
0 · August 13
This trip will go ahead but anyone who wants a later date, earlier start, different pace or some other modification could bring that up here. If there's sufficient consensus I'll happily post another, different Willoughby trip. Also, ask neighbors about carpooling. (Except Cathy - two boats on a Miata sounds like something the Wright brothers should investigate!)
0 · August 2
I'm not sure if I will be able to go yet, but regarding carpools: I will be coming from the south via 91. I transport with a miata which should take 1 more boat, but I haven't tried it yet. So this your warning... my whole set up is a gerry-rigg operation! :) My boat is just under 14'
0 · July 22
OK, maybe two trips is a good idea. I'm committed to swimmer support on 18 August so I'm going to schedule this trip for after that and offer to transport anyone willing to volunteer to do that as well. In fact, I'm going to urge everyone to consider doing that. Contact me and I'll hook you up.
0 · July 21
I'm probably escorting a swimmer 18 August 2012. That meet should be over by 12:00, but at which end is decided that morning. To give me time to get back up the lake if I have to, what do people think of a 13:30 launch? (18 August 2012 is a Saturday. Sunset is 19:54, twilight > 21:00. The lake is 7.7 km long meaning it's theoretically possible to paddle it in 1 hour; 2 is more comfortable.)
Also, if anyone feels like escorting a swimmer beforehand, this course is easy.
0 · July 12