VW Van Owners of Vancouver Message Board › Someone's van on fire :(

Someone's van on fire :(

Jennifer
CdnFembot
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 80

A friend was driving to work (so between Burnaby and Vancouver) and saw this :(

I hope it at least wasn't one of 'ours'?
jenny b.
jennybeeW
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 107
ugh what a nightmare.
Steve
user 13858908
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 32
Replace those old fuel lines in the engine compartment.
Tammy P.
user 70358152
Richmond, BC
Post #: 32
Oh, good, it's not you Jennybee, was worried when I saw the orange and Vancouver! Not that it's good that it's someone else, but so much worse when it's a friend!

tam
ugh what a nightmare.

The Skylight G.
TheSkylightGuy
Gibsons, BC
Post #: 45
Replace those old fuel lines in the engine compartment.

Good point, check them out religiously and often due to small rodents that can wreak havoc in your fuel or water lines! I've replaced my old fuel lines and tank right thru to the fuel injectors...

Still check for drips and signs on all occasions I can.

Check out our blog on mice and fox urine....http://vanagonwestfal...­
A former member
Post #: 31
super sad.
George O.
GeorgeandJenn
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 20
Two weeks ago my daughter and I parked her 1975 bus (the orange hippie bus with the peace signs) and she thought we were leaking oil out behind the van. Nope it was gas. And the engine still running I looked back and could see literal small stream of clear fluid pouring down onto the pavement just to the left inside of the rear right wheel. We dove to turn off the engine and stood there looking at it. Hmmmm.......the big fire extinguisher we carry for exactly this reason: inside the back hatch (great planning, eh?). Anyways, to make a very long 2 hour story short, it was a worm-gear hose clamp that was at a "T" connector of the gas line just to the right of the engine that turned out to be loose. I managed to get in there with a screwdriver and tighten it back up. We sopped up all the gas and put a dry paper towel under the gas line and turned the ignition just enough to get the fuel pump going: no leaks. Did it several times....no leaks. Started it up and checked several times. No leaks. I'm fairly sure the lines are all fairly new, they certainly do not look old but it was an absolutely scary-near-end-of-the-bus experience. So we moved the fire extinguisher to behind the front passenger seat and took her back home. I try not to think of those early minutes, a 4' wide circle of gas on the ground under the engine, gas all over the right side of the engine and right side heater box, and me opening up the top engine compartment hatch to lean way inside with my flashlight trying to clean it all up and then start figuring out where it was coming from (which involved invoking the fuel pump multiple times and narrowing down where it was all streaming from)........