VW Van Owners of Vancouver Message Board › Another one stolen from Seattle

Another one stolen from Seattle

Tammy P.
user 70358152
Richmond, BC
Post #: 141
http://vancouver.en.c...­

There have been a few in the last few months, they all show up a week or two later undamaged, well minus what the thieves have done to the inside.

I'm getting a blinking light added to mine, even though I'm sure it's the same person over there doing it. You never know...

tam
Tammy P.
user 70358152
Richmond, BC
Post #: 142
Now, one was stolen from OREGON and it showed up in Vancouver, WA:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575505­

Plus another from Seattle:
http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/4152046740.html

I'm waiting on my red light from ebay...lucky for me my neighbour has 3 super nice trucks, one w/ a camper and then a block away always has half a dozen Vanagons w/ a Syncro or two in the mix. I'd like to take one of those for a test drive myself. LOL

Anyone bothered w/ a club? My understanding has always been they just cut your steering wheel and their problem is solved, but it adds to your problem!

tam

Read that wrong! LOL
Ed B.
user 46358882
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 19
lots of discussion on thesamba.com about fuel pump cut off switches, units to track position of vehicles (uses cell technology I suppose, etc. Just search for stolen vanagon and you will likely find recent discussions :-)
Jennifer
CdnFembot
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 114
The challenge with a club is that you need one that can do a truck-size steering wheel. I bought a club soon after I got my westie and of course the darn thing was too small, haha. If you find a club big enough- do let me know where you sourced it.

When I park my Westie with my bike inside (only sometimes when travelling), I roll my bike between the two front seats, and bike-lock the frame plus rear tire to the steering wheel, and the steering wheel to the door handle. I want to make it as much of a pain in the a$$ to steal my van as it is to steal my bike- and a glance through the window screams "too much work" lol.

I would be interested in learning more about kill-switch type options if they can be translated into layman's terms for someone who isn't a mechanic.

As for tracking- there is a really neat new product called 'Tile'- it is likely what those discussions are talking about as it utilizes the 'workforce' of smartphones and gps' out in the world to locate your tile- and if anyone here wants to go in on the offer for three, I'm game!
Kerry S.
user 41405452
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 10
I've seen a few devices that wire into your vehicle's electrical system that can be very well hidden and are tiny gps transmitters. If your truck or van goes missing, even a smartphone can track it down - let alone law enforcement. Definitely lots of places to bury one in a Westy and having had two motorcycles stolen, I was able to track one down with it. Small investment, huge peace of mind.
Bernie
user 13397839
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 35
Ralph's Radio just installed a button in a mine that has to be pressed or vehicle will not crank over.
Takes two hands to start vehicle.
Button, of course, is hidden.
Was just over a hundred dollars.
For the most part it's not professionals that steal VW's just punks.
Anything that stops the quick break in and attempted drive away is helpful.
Kenny is the experienced installer at Ralph's and Lee Gillman is the guy to book it with if interested.
Jennifer
CdnFembot
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 115
My westfalia Dorothy has her own anti-theft measure- the 'odds of being ably to turn the key in the ignition being directly proportional to her present mood and whim' measure. Only impacted by soothing words and sweet whisperings.

It has been confirmed as having zero mechanical cause, and is completely inconsistent in its occurrence- other than this theory. Combined with all the other undeniable evidence of a large westfalia personality (like the time she mysteriously stopped working the second my friend made a disparaging westie remark and then drove like silk the second I returned to driving)(and after soothing her) I would say "Good luck thieves, you'd be fortunate if she doesn't spit you out the side door and punt a screw at your head on your way out."
Bruce L.
user 87815452
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 15
I use a Club Like device that links the steering wheel to either my clutch pedal or brake pedal depending on whether I think straight line driving with no brakes or no clutch would be better in any given parking spot.

The device is probably just a deterrent to dopers. Though it does make me feel better!

When camping with my shade structure, I put it around one leg and under the passenger rear tire; makes a very secure anchor for the 10 X 10 in high winds like at Burning Man.
Tammy P.
user 70358152
Richmond, BC
Post #: 151
And, another one drives off in Seattle. crying

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578120­

The last few have turned up 3 weeks later, so here is hoping to an early Christmas present...

tam
Kerry S.
user 41405452
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 15
The guys at Ralph's Radio are first class folks. Will drop buy there today and talk about what's available for mine.

Ralph's Radio just installed a button in a mine that has to be pressed or vehicle will not crank over.
Takes two hands to start vehicle.
Button, of course, is hidden.
Was just over a hundred dollars.
For the most part it's not professionals that steal VW's just punks.
Anything that stops the quick break in and attempted drive away is helpful.
Kenny is the experienced installer at Ralph's and Lee Gillman is the guy to book it with if interested.