Vancouver Unconventional Books Message Board › The Sheltering Sky: Those little black things & other thoughts

The Sheltering Sky: Those little black things & other thoughts

A former member
Post #: 41
flies // words on a page, words spilling out of one's mouth/ crowded thoughts in one's mind ---this hit me, then clung to me like a swarm of little black flies, I spat them out and so here there are.
A former member
Post #: 42
So maybe it's not just "Who am I?" but "Where am I?"
A former member
Post #: 43
My initial reaction to Port's interest in the blind girl-- distaste (because I am a woman?) and that he was a "trophy collector." But then later I thought, maybe it's a case of " I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch."
Funny, just read the bit where Turner is described as a "trophy collector" (this in a context of his overtures to Kit: which "had been made out of pity (because she was a woman) and out of vanity (because he was a man), and the two feelings together had awakened the acquisitive desire of the trophy collector, nothing more."
A former member
Post #: 44
Oh gawd, just read the part where Kit is ganged rape...now my reaction is anger and outrage--- is this some fucking male fantasy?! God dammit!
A former member
Post #: 45
Or it could be a woman's fantasy?
A former member
Post #: 46
Or it could be a spiritual experience? -- "a double love ritual"
A former member
Post #: 47
Or an Awakening?
A former member
Post #: 48
Or an extended idea of the "hunter & prey" analogy?
A former member
Post #: 49
Or possibly a re-birth of a new Kit (from the pool):

• an Arab woman?
  • primal Other? -- thoughts processed through sensations rather than words/intellect

James M.
user 14454827
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 36

I love seeing your thought process unfold smile - the discussion would have been even more lively if you'd been having these thoughts live!