addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vancouver Unconventional Books Message Board › Post your book suggestions here!

Post your book suggestions here!

James M.
user 14454827
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 4
Go ahead and post your suggestions for the group...
Regi M.
Regwords
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 5
Hi Jayme!
Aren't we up late! I feel invigorated after "group"...
I did not notice all these lists before-I better pay closer attention. I even missed James' first list.
Hmmm...what to read. I love Flannery O'Connor-but I would like to start in on somebody I have never heard of. Gotta keep learning.
Great night everyone.
Marianne-fun to see you.
Cheers
Regi
A former member
Post #: 2
Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness - today I'm reading Karen Armstrong and she says this book "can be seen as a heroic quest and initiation that has gone wrong". She's writing about myth and refers to this book and Malcolm Lowry's Under the Volcano, another book I haven't gotten around to!

Kelli
A former member
Post #: 6
I believe Malcolm Lowry wrote "Under the Volcano" while living on Bowen Island.
James M.
user 14454827
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 9
Thanks for the suggestions everybody! Keep em coming.

I'm planning on suggesting Dostoevsky's The Devils - as I think I said last week. In the interest of fairness, though, I'm only going to put that one book into the lottery.

Though I have to say I think Under the Volcano would be great. So many books, so little time.

James M.
user 14454827
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 10
Hi Mary -

Re: Orwell...

I do love 1984 and Homage to Catalonia. The one I haven't read that I'd love to read is Down and Out in Paris and London.
Barry T.
user 41983652
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
I agree with Jayme. I found Under the Volcano a bit ponderous and depressing. Though Albert Finney did a terrific job in the movie.

Something by Orwell would be fun ... other than 1984 and Animal Farm (both great but already well explored).
A former member
Post #: 7
What? No one wants to read about British consul Geoffrey Firman going on a bender in Quauhnahuac during the Day of the Dead festival in 1938? Oh well....

If we are going to read Orwell, I vote for either "Keep the Aspidistra Flying" or "Coming up for Air".

"A Clergyman's Daughter" might also be interesting because it is said to be Orwell's most formally experimental novel, and he later disowned it.
Marianne
user 34764662
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 2
what about some short stories of Jorge Luis Borges?
Marianne
user 34764662
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 3
I read James Joyce's "The Death " before and I thought it was worthwhile to be discussed into details. So the short story collection Dubliners is another good choice.