With the hope of spring sunshine, lets meet out in Burnaby and in the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts. This location is also part of Deer Lake Park. You can choose all kinds of sketching subjects: forest and lakeshore paths, a playground, formal gardens, boat rentals, the Burnaby Art Gallery, Burnaby Heritage Museum (across Deer Park Ave) and more. Should the rain come there is always the Community Centre itself to fall back on. It will be busy inside but that also means lots of activity.
We meet outside and under a roof at 12:30 pm Main or East Entrance of the Shadbolt Centre, follow sidewalk beside service road from the parking lot.
We can reconvene at 3:00 pm, to look at our drawings in the Encores Coffee Bar, inside the main entrance of Shadbolt Centre of the Arts, (coffee bar closes at 3:30 pm).
Bring your favourite art supplies, as always. An umbrella would be useful too for those keeners who are going to brave the elements.
Some of the potential sketch sights require a 15 minute walk each way, if you venture into the park, using the community centre as a home base. I have posted 12:30 pm to meet, for now, but you may prefer 1:00 pm. Feedback is of course welcome!
1) Metrotown Skytrain Station: after exiting take the overhead walkway and then descend to bus station below
2) Sperling Skytrain Station: descend to bus station below
Bus stops across from each other, between Burnaby Heritage Museum and the Shadbolt Centre
If you are driving, Highway #1 is your best bet, from most locations:
• leave freeway at the Kensington Ave./Canada Way Exit. • turn left at traffic light on Canada Way
• turn right at the next traffic light, on Sperling Ave. • turn right on Deer Lake Ave and drive through some curves till a large parking lot appears
• additional parking available little further on at the Burnaby Art Gallery (opposite the RCMP Station)