Vancouver Voice Acting Meetup Group Message Board › Let's Move On ... Summary of BP Meetup & Future Strategies ...

Let's Move On ... Summary of BP Meetup & Future Strategies ...

Gary B
FotoFrog
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 48
hi Guys,

Thanks again for all who attended last night's Boston Pizza meetup. I thought I'd summarize some of the points made, potentials for the group, and directions we could take in the future.

Seems like we're all coming from a variety of unique positions - from beginners to professionals in the field, and we all have a different set of needs and directions in terms of progressing in the field. Our group will define itself by the energy that we're bringing as individuals.

The one thing we all have in common is the desire to desire to develop and use our voices professionally and to proceed and succeed in our professional endeavours in the field of voice-acting.

Some points that came up in our meeting, re, possibilities for the group (please let me know if I've missed anything ...)

• Critiquing
  • Resources
  • Sharing gigs
  • Demo Creation
  • Marketing Strategy
  • Home Studio Setup

Points made for future exploration include the following:

• re-configuring this meetup group (ie, new manager, new group, ...?)
  • finding venues for future meetings more conducive to dialogue and possibly more central for attendees

As an afterthought, I came up with the following possibilities as well: perhaps arriving at a purpose-statement or "mission statement" for the group. This would need the flexibility to change and adapt as membership changes.

Another piece of the puzzle is to understand the structure and strategies needed for advancement in the field of voice-acting. The following points came up for me as I tried to organize thoughts in this area:

• Individuals having the desire and passion to develop and use their voices professionally
  • Understanding the scope and structure of the profession and marketplace in voice-acting
  • Developing, refining and polishing your own vocal skills
  • Creating a 'demo' package of your professional vocal portfolio
  • Understanding the basics of audio production in both home and professional studio settings
  • Setup and operation of home-based studios, from "shoestring" to pro budget levels
  • Creating and executing a marketing plan for your demo material and professional profile

That's all for now. Where we go from here depends on everyone's input and participation in the process. I think we can use this discussion board to shape our direction in terms of future meeting locales, themes to explore and how to best optimize our time so we can all have fun and gain some insight and expertise in the process.

Gary

(ps - you all may want to check out the PDF files that previous group members have uploaded: there's a lot of good intro summaries and resource material listed. Under the MORE menu, choose "files" ...)