Writers have never had it more difficult than in the modern age.
It’s a brave new world we writers live in; one where, not only must we have to write compelling stories, we have to, among other things:
• Successfully build and manage author platforms and brands;
• Get and keep readers interested in us before we even have a completed book to read;
• Be present and witty on at least a few social media platforms;
• Find editors, cover artists, and learn to format ebooks if we’re self-published;
• Be knowledgeable in contract law if we’re traditionally published;
• Decide whether we want to self-publish or attempt the traditional route.
We don’t even necessarily use the same word processing software as normal people (Scrivener, anyone?), and who knows if we’re using that correctly, or to its fullest capabilities?
The 21st century offers many great, new opportunities to writers, yet each opportunity also comes with its own set of challenges that have little, if anything, to do with conventional writing craft. To the point that writing to book is becoming (if it hasn’t already) the “easy” part of the process.
The discussion kick-starter question for this meetup is thus as follows:
“What non-writing craft aspect of being a writer to do struggle with the most?” (Maybe we can help!)
Other topics will also be discussed as they arise, in a relaxed, friendly manner.
New members welcome! The reservation is in my name. Look for the "Vancouver Writers' Social Group" sign on the table.
NOTE: SD Galleria is an upstairs venue. The name is printed on the glass door downstairs, and there's a sandwich board on the sidewalk.
NOTE#2: If you end up on the waitlist, please don't just show up unless you are notified of an opening and added to the guest list.